blue crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoodla dollas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i recently set up a 10 gal freshwater tank using gravel and water from my 55 gal. i let it cycle with 5 danios for about 4 days. i put a blue crayfish in there thinking it would be alright but i found it dead this morning. the fish are still fine. im gonna test the water but what else should i do to prevent this from happening again.

I'm sorry to hear about your blue crayfish...I'm planning to get one myself next week.

Inverts are extremely sensitive to toxins. Is there anything in the tank that may heve been poisoned (driftwood, flowerpots, etc)? Did you ever use copper-based medications in the 55 gal from which you got the gravel and water? They are extremely toxic to inverts, and persist in the tank for a long time.
What was the temp in the 10 gal? I've read that crayfish prefer cooler water temps, but I doubt this would kill so fast.

How did you acclimatize the Crayfish? I have read that Crayfish and other inverts are more sensitive to stress when changing water chemistry. Perhaps you could simply try a longer time in the bag..Try leaving it for 45 mins then adding a half cup of the tank water to the bag every 10 mins until it is full. Then pour out half the bags water and continue adding half cups until the second bag is full, then release. Maybe overly cautious but it seems to work.

using water and gravel from a tank and waiting 4 days isnt enough time for it to cycle.youll prob need to cycle it for 2-3weeks.if you used the filter of the 55gal then it would be quicker.but the bactiera need to grow on your new filter.and that takes a while.I did the same thing but with fw crabs.But now my 20gal has been cycled for 6months and i add him 4months ago and hes doing great.

Ammonia is especially toxic to crayfish for some reason so even if the levels where low enough for your fish it might have killed the crayfish.

Also they are really sensitive to copper so if you have ever used copper based medications in the tank that could have killed it.

Do you have well water. I you do it proabbly had copper in it and thats what kiled him.

JMHO

sry about your crayfish

Back
Top Bottom