Blue Gourami - Trichogaster trichopterus -- by lmw80

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
[center:f024b9347b]Blue Gourami[/center:f024b9347b]

submitted by lmw80

Scientific Name: Trichogaster trichopterus
Common Names: Blue Gourami, Three-Spot Gourami

Region: Asia
Maximum Size: 5? (12.7cm)
Average Adult Size: 4?-5?
PH Range: 6.0-8.7
Hardness: 5-35 dGH
Temperature: 73-86F (22-36C)

The Blue Gourami is also known as the Three-Spot Gourami, even though they really only have two black spots on their body. The third ?spot? is actually their eye. The Blue Gourami is an extremely hardy fish that can tolerate a wide range of conditions as far as ph, water hardness, water quality, temperature, and tank mates.

One of the most interesting qualities of this species, along with all other gourami species is its ability to breath air. This is made possible by a special organ called the labyrinth organ, which is located just above the gills. This organ takes oxygen from the air, to complement or add to the oxygen taken from the water via the gills. As a result of the location of this organ, the gills are smaller in size than that of a non- anabantoid (fish that contain the labyrinth organ are called anabantoid fish) fish.

Another interesting physical feature of gouramis in general are their feelers. They have two feelers on the underside of their body that they use to investigate objects or fish.

The Blue Gourami loves a variety of food. In fact, the Blue Gourami needs a variety of food to be its healthiest. Flake food, brine shrimp (frozen, freeze dried or live), bloodworms, meat flakes, etc. are just some of the foods accepted by this species.

The Blue Gourami makes an excellent tank-mate in a community tank. They live best with fish around their size, small schooling fish, and bottom dwellers. The Blue Gourami is a top to mid-dweller in the aquarium, and that should be considered when looking for ideal tank mates. Males may be more territorial and aggressive, so it is not suggested to keep males together. If this is attempted because the tank is of substantial size, or the vegetation is thick, and physical harm is inflicted, the aggressor should be taken out immediately, as they will fight to the death on most occasions. Although a male and a female get along most of the time, the same previously described precaution should be taken.

Blue Gouramis love thick vegetation, especially floating plants. If the tank is not a planted tank, add fake plastic or silk plants to the gravel bed and leave some to float.

Gouramis, in general are relatively easy to breed. The male has a pointier, longer dorsal and anal fin while the female?s is shorter and rounder. The male makes a bubble nest at a selected location at the water line of the tank. The bubble nest is a combination of bubbles and mucus, and can also include other items found in the tank, such as plant leaves or stems. Once the fish have mated, the female lays her eggs inside the bubble nest. The male then stands guard and aggressively protects the nest from every inhabitant of the tank, including the mother.

The blue gourami is a great fish for aquarists of any rank, and can quickly claim a place in your heart!

References:

http://freshaquarium.about.com/library/profiles/blfw0059.htm
http://www.mrcmekong.org/pdf/Anabantoids.pdf
Personal experience

Thanks for the profile.

I just added a powder blue gourami to my tank, and then it occurred to me that he might be lonely for another gourami. Do they do okay as solitary fish, or is it best to risk the possible aggression you describe above, and try to find him a female friend?

I was wondering the same thing about my sole betta. I'd like him to have a girlfriend, if it would make him any happier. Both the gourami and the betta seem to spend a lot of time having staring contests with their own reflections....It's kinda sad.

Thanks,
fearlessfisch

And just an additional bit of trivia; the feelers (aka ventral fins) possess taste cells. Yep, when your gourami is touching everything in the tank with those skinny feelers, its actually tasting it all!

And gouramis do fine as only fish. They actually can get pretty territorial, especially in the small tanks we put them in; males fighting with males, and even with females, especially after eggs are laid.

How bizarre! A fish that swims around tasting everything is a fish after my own heart. :lol:

I am still trying to decide about a tankmate for him--I think gouramis are so pretty, and it's tempting....But it's nice to know he'll be okay if I go the conservative route. I think any new additions will be delayed until I conquer this brown algae problem.

waving to the baby rams,
fearlessfisch

Thanks again for that profile. I have had a Blue (full grown-4 inches) for probably 5 months now and you're right, he holds a special place in my heart. He and a peacock (aka dwarf) gourami are my pals. :lol:

Anyway, I just recently added another gourami who came from a donor tank at the LFS. It was in a tank with two or three other gouramis of the same type. I don't have a classification for him yet. Though small at this point, he/she appears to be of the same bodily structure as my blue, not stalky and short like the dwarf. As I understand it, the blue spotted gourami is part of the same species as several other colors and patterns of gourami. Essentially, they are the same fish, they just have different colors. Is this true?

Also, since this new addition, i have not noticed any of the aforementioned aggression, yet...Should I be worried, I didn't consider the problems when I purchased it.
thanks,
Ryan

Hi Ryan, welcome to aquarium advice!

Blue, gold, and several other color varieties of gouramis are the same fish except for color.

Aggression may, or may not occur. While common, it is not expected all the time, extra precaustions need to be taken when deciding to house these fish together...worse comes to worse, one or more of the fish go back to the store...

Hey, thanks for setting that straight, I'll keep an eye out. Hehe, it's kinda wierd getting all of these welcomings to AA as I was an avid member about 6 months ago. Had to start over due to an email add change. It's good to know the people here are still so friendly and helpful. Thanks again,
Ryan

Hey, thanks for setting that straight, I'll keep an eye out. Hehe, it's kinda wierd getting all of these welcomings to AA as I was an avid member about 6 months ago. Had to start over due to an email add change. It's good to know the people here are still so friendly and helpful. Thanks again,
Ryan

Good info. Actually, though, the two spot and three spot ARE separate.

And still are with SMP's

The original fish found, the two spot is Trichogaster t. trichopterus ( a shining beige fish with sparkling pearl gourami like markings and where the goldens came from) is found all over southern asia and the surrounding islands. It is a larger fish than it's subspecie, the three spot (a silvery blue fish with mottled markings), by a mere inch to inch and a half.
The blue gourami was once found only in the Sumatran islands. To avoid confusion they were called "3 spot gourami" (when oddly enough it is wild 2 spots that have a third spot on the caudals..heh) Color morphs come from both and the interbreeding of both. But the blue gourami is Trichogaster t. sumatranus.
Becuase it is an island species and from more acidic water it was once known not to breed as easy in it's true form as the main specie. Which is why some color morphs are bubblenesting every cleaning day and some seem not to care.
Possibly the interbreeding has prompted wholesalers and retailers to use the main specie name. But they were indeed marked as two separate species at one time..least in the 70's they were. :)

I have a beast of a blue gourami about 6" he gets along with everything in my tank cardinals, serpae, black skirt, flying fox, snails, rummynose ,angels, farlowella , pleco
He was an adoption so I was just keeping him till I found a home for him but he is doing very well I may keep him

Allivymar said:
And just an additional bit of trivia; the feelers (aka ventral fins) possess taste cells. Yep, when your gourami is touching everything in the tank with those skinny feelers, its actually tasting it all!

And gouramis do fine as only fish. They actually can get pretty territorial, especially in the small tanks we put them in; males fighting with males, and even with females, especially after eggs are laid.

Wait... So old pearl gourami is pretty much licking my new one??? That's kinda weird...

I had a 2 inch or so make blue he was very aggressive, so I added a smaller female gold, and rearanged the tank and then he wasn't aggressive anymore, but she got HUGE! She must have been 4 in, and could be aggressive I think cause she was so much bigger than the other tank mates, they both died after having them for a long time but the female definitely lowered the aggressive behavior

Back
Top Bottom