boesemani and turquoise rainbows.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
Besides providing a breeding mop or floating plants, is there anyway to encourage spawning? I see a lot of courting behaviours. I have a male of each species and now two females of each.

Also what type of plant works best for this? Or what can I use temporarily as a substitute?

Can anyone with experience breeding rainbows chime in? I read about making a spawning mop from acrylic yarn so I'm going to pick some up today and a bottle of wine... for a cork of course

I've got nothing useful for you, just chiming in to say I'm right with you. I literally just made a spawning mop and tossed it in my tank. My males are being pretty obnoxious trying to spawn with the females, I'm kind of hoping if they get some eggs out there that the behavior will calm down.
I don't have any experience with it though, I'm just putzing along just like you trying to figure it out!

I'm wondering if the spawning mop should be moved to fry tank after they spawn or should they be left in the main tank for a while?

Based on my research, they will eat the eggs, so as soon as you see eggs it should move to the fry tank.
But google it yourself because I am obviously no expert at this, that was just what I read

Well yes I've read several articles on it I'm just wondering if anyone has been successfull and how they've done it.

I have breed ornate rainbow fish but all I did was feed them brine shrimp and use REAL plants

I have rainbowfish fry! Yay!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Look how cute they are!
vygahe8y.jpg

Here are some better pictures

Attachments

• 1388194962725.jpg
    1388194962725.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 223
  • 1388194976091.jpg