Boesmani Rainbow and Neon Dwarf Rainbow - Schooling and Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zer0signal

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello!

Not sure if this is the proper place to ask these questions -- Admin please move to proper location if not.

I just picked up 6 Neon Dwarf Rainbows, and they seem to be schooling with my 5 Boesmani. I was totally not expecting this, its like 1 giant cloud of fish moving together across the tank!? Is this normal?

2nd does anyone have any advice on feeding my Rainbows, the don't seem to be too keen on eating flake food, but they go crazy over the frozen brine shrimp! Currently using Omega-One Tropical Flakes, what should I do to get them eating flakes, or is it ok they just eat bloodworms, and brine shrimp?

Thanks

Rainbows will often school together. My boesemani, turquoise, and Australians all school together. As far as feeding, mine were hard to get onto flakes and pellets. They only accepted frozen at first. Frozen is good occasionally but you really should work on getting them on flakes and preferably pellets just because they offer more nutrients and variety. What worked for me was to stop offering frozen food and only offer the flakes or pellets. Rainbows are pretty big pigs and they will eventually begin to accept the flakes or pellets when they get hungry enough. It's tough to keep to sometimes because it's fun watching them feed due to how aggressive they are with eating, but they won't starve themselves. It may take a couple of curious fish to begin eating the flakes before the others catch on that it's food.

You could also thaw a frozen bloodworm cube and soak the flakes in the liquid to give it that scent which may entice them. Mine went from only eating bloodworms and brine shrimp to accepting New Life Spectrum flakes, to now happily eating New Life Spectrum Thera+ and AlgaeMax pellets. Remember that they have small throats so make the food pretty fine so they can easily swallow it.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You could also thaw a frozen bloodworm cube and soak the flakes in the liquid to give it that scent which may entice them. Mine went from only eating bloodworms and brine shrimp to accepting New Life Spectrum flakes, to now happily eating New Life Spectrum Thera+ and AlgaeMax pellets. Remember that they have small throats so make the food pretty fine so they can easily swallow it.

Thanks Nigel! Do you know of a Brick and Mortar store that carries New Life Spectrum, or do I have to just Amazon it?

The only thing that I am hesitant about with the Pellets is if any of it gets beyond mid tank level, the Rainbows want nothing to do it with. I have sinking pellets that i give to my shark, and the Rainbows don't even seem to want to give a chase for it while falling.

I will def give the soaking the flakes in thawed bloodworm water!

Maybe some local fish stores. I'm not sure, the only thing near me is PetsMart and they only sell Omega One which is a good food as well. I order most everything from Amazon.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks man, I might go and try some of these API Tropical Premium Pellets if the size is right!

Thanks Again! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom