Bolivian ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stephen Rollins

Aquarium Advice Freak
S it okay to keep only two Ina community tank or only 1 ? On the bottom will be 8 Cory cats and a bristlenose pleco

Ok but can I keep multiple or only one to keep it peaceful.

I've heard with German blue rams they can be a bit territorial and get mean if kept in a larger group.

I haven't heard very much about the Bolivian rams.

Bolivian rams are more bark than bite.

I have 3 in my community. The occasional lip lock here and there along with the odd chase.

They make great additions. They also love pleco wafers.

Jon

jondamon said:
Bolivian rams are more bark than bite.

I have 3 in my community. The occasional lip lock here and there along with the odd chase.

They make great additions. They also love pleco wafers.

Jon

Thx jon

I also have a male and female in a tank with three emperor Tera's and two bn plecos and have no problems. My male from time to time will chase my female around but never acts aggressive towards her.

Christopherlh84 said:
I also have a male and female in a tank with three emperor Tera's and two bn plecos and have no problems. My male from time to time will chase my female around but never acts aggressive towards her.

Awesome thx :)

Make sure they have hiding places that they can claim as their own. I have 3 pairs in a 29g with cory cats, neon tetras and a BN pleco. They only chase everyone away when they're spawning.

I have one and would like more. Good to hear that is an option. I was steered away from adding any more before.

Just remember when they go to first spawn he will bully her a little but she will be ok.

Christopherlh84 said:
Just remember when they go to first spawn he will bully her a little but she will be ok.

Do they only spawn on flat rock ( I've read ). I don't have flat rock and would rather not have to deal with spawning fish. I don't want to have to take care of young.

Stephen Rollins said:
Do they only spawn on flat rock ( I've read ). I don't have flat rock and would rather not have to deal with spawning fish. I don't want to have to take care of young.

They can spawn on any flat surface large enough.

However most fry won't last very long in a community tank. I've seen tetra and danio fry in my community that get gobbled up by pretty much all occupants.

Jon

Majbarsalona said:
I was also looking to get Bolivian rams for a pretty peaceful community tank, would it be best to get 1 or 2?

I always was told to get a male and female. Plus once they spawn they become un separable which I think is beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom