Bolivian vs German Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bolivian get a lot bigger and have a different body shape. Also people say Bolivians are hardier. Personally they seemed the same. But my Gbr are way more aggressive. Bolivian rams and German blue rams are not the same fish like German blue rams and electric blue ram or gold rams. Those are all colour variants of the Gbr where the Bolivian is not

Thanks, didn't know that there was much of a difference. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394745461.533178.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394745487.674305.jpg
The first one is a Bolivian and the second is a German, I know the gbr is small but I've seen adults and they look much different

I had both in a 60 gallon, 2 males and 2 females. They are still cichlids so they can be bullies occasionally, but in my short experience with them they were very compatible. Very low aggression and usually swam together, even with my 2 male gold rams. I'd say go for it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For those that have had both, what are the personality differences between the two?
In my experience GBR's will gang up and chase others out of hiding spots even if it isn't their territory, and if there's an odd GBR (say you have a m/f pair and you have one lone one) the pair will eventually kill the loner. Bolivians are much calmer and will watch you/challenge you from inside of the tank rather than harass other fish.

In my experience GBR's will gang up and chase others out of hiding spots even if it isn't their territory, and if there's an odd GBR (say you have a m/f pair and you have one lone one) the pair will eventually kill the loner. Bolivians are much calmer and will watch you/challenge you from inside of the tank rather than harass other fish.

Thanks!!! :D

So,made BR compatible with:
Rummy nose tetras (8)
Guppies (Fancy, 10)
Snails (Nerites, 2)
Kuhli loaches (6)

In my 50 gallon?

Aqadvisor said that the BR may get too aggressive for the rummies. Is this correct?

My rummies and br are doing just fine. The rummies though are pretty quick at getting the food before it reaches the bottom since the rb doesn't go to the top. So I have to sink food down deep by letting it go by the incoming water to force it to the bottom quickly.

Gbr Are more Agressive in my experience. An usually the female. I've had three pairs and the female also would pick on my other fish and the male would just swim around with her. My female ram that I put in with my discus will try to take on a 5inch discus. I never seen that attitude from the males. Bolivians seemed more docile to me. Although I've only had males and never a female. Maybe it's just female rams are bossier.

I've had a female Bolivian ram and a male, the male was super aggressive. I guess it's just their own personalities.

I've had a female Bolivian ram and a male, the male was super aggressive. I guess it's just their own personalities.

This is very true itself! Each ram will have its own personality and be more aggressive or less then the other. My male gbrs weren't the same.

Back
Top Bottom