Bottom dweller suggestions for a 55 gallon Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishobsessed7

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to the LFS tomorrow, and I plan on getting some bottom dwellers for my planted tank.

Current stock is:
8 Harlequin Rasboras (trying to rehome)
6 juvenile Angels (will remove extras once a pair forms, or maybe even all of them)
4 Bolivian Rams (trying to get a pair, will remove extras)
1 male Betta

The criteria the bottom dweller must meet:
Planted Tank Friendly
Won't rearrange my tank for me
Compatible with other stock
Not a Cory species
Not incredibly hard to find (LFS has lots of variety, but not a lot of extremely rare stuff)
Won't outgrow my tank.

I am doing 50- 75% WCs Weekly (usually about 50-60).

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

One thing I forgot to mention, the tank is hood less (auto correct thought that should be noodles?)

I had considered kuhlis, but I am worried they'd jump...

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

Hmmm, mine have never tried to jump. Do they have a habit of doing so that I didn't know about?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Bristlenose pleco. Cool looking and do a great job with algae.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've never had kuhlis jump but they do like to try to swim up filters sometimes.

If it were my tank? Angelicus loaches :D

Ok, it's between kuhlis and angelicus loaches...

Fishobsessed7

I've never had kuhlis jump but they do like to try to swim up filters sometimes.

If it were my tank? Angelicus loaches :D

Will they rearrange my tank? I was looking at other Botia species, and from what I read, they like to move the sand, around to there liking.

Fishobsessed7

Will they rearrange my tank? I was looking at other Botia species, and from what I read, they like to move the sand, around to there liking.

Fishobsessed7

They mostly shift through the sand looking for food, they are too small to move sand to the point of changing the landscape of a tank especially anything halfway large

They mostly shift through the sand looking for food, they are too small to move sand to the point of changing the landscape of a tank especially anything halfway large

Ok thanks!

I'm still in the process of planting, so will they up root the newly planted plants?

Fishobsessed7

I know Im late to the party but Im just going to throw this one out there but Banjo Catfish. It is a Cryptic SA catfish from the peruvian Amazon. Really an incredible fish. Every time my LFS gets one I'm too late to get him... :( Not a really social animal so does fine in small groups or a single specimen. Khuli loaches are cool too though. They won't uproot your plants, They're not really strong enough to rearrange an entire tank but a fun little fish.

Ok thanks!

I'm still in the process of planting, so will they up root the newly planted plants?

Fishobsessed7

I highly doubt it. Water changes are more likely to mess up the plants than khulis

Back
Top Bottom