Bought a house inherited a pond...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tdeheer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Recently I bought a house where the previous owner had a pond. The pond is ~8 feet long, 4 feet wide and about 5 feet deep. The pond has a liner and is nicely setup however the previous owner did not leave a pump or any plants.

I am curious to what I need to do to get the pond setup and ready for use next spring. Obviously after a couple of months with no pump the pond is basically stagnant water and its jam packed with algae. When we moved in the pond had no fish at all but last week I found three little gold fish swimming around, they have since been transplanted to a Fish tank as I felt bad for the little things. Any suggestions on where to start? I have a fish tank and have had them for a long time but I know nothing of ponds.

Congrats on the pond and the new house. Also welcome to AA! I don't have a pond but the first step I imagine would be to get a good filter setup for the pond. How cold does it get where you are? If the pond freezes over there isn't much you will be able to do until spring.

Zagz said:
Congrats on the pond and the new house. Also welcome to AA! I don't have a pond but the first step I imagine would be to get a good filter setup for the pond. How cold does it get where you are? If the pond freezes over there isn't much you will be able to do until spring.

Southwestern Ontario, so it gets pretty cold :) I figure I am done for the winter but I am trying to plan for the spring time. I didn't really want a pond but I am planning on giving it a shot to see if I like it. Thanks for the reply and the welcome!

I can help

Southwestern Ontario, so it gets pretty cold :) I figure I am done for the winter but I am trying to plan for the spring time. [/quote]

I can help you my friend... This is the best forum for ponding on the internet ( koiphen.com ) It's setup just like this site tons of people willing to help.. I have 2 aquariums 35 and 55 gal I also have a 3,000 gal pond with 7 large japanense KOI.. This year I decided to bring in 3 small 7" koi for the winter thats what started me on the aquarium thing.... That site will give you a good heads up on what to do this summer... If you have any other questions let me know.. Heres a picture of my pond ;)

Attachments

• pondpic_852.jpg
    pondpic_852.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 69
Also this is one of the best places to buy pond stuff azponds.com

Right now there not much to do. You should not add pump or filter now, wait till spring. You don't want the water to circulate, the bottom of the pond is actually warmer then the surface and you want it to stay that way.The goldfish would have been fine in the pond. they were probably there all along, masters at hiding. In the spring you can add algaecide, and barley straw (I use the pelleted form myself). That limits algae growth. Many people use heaters to keep hole in ice at surface. I don't, my ponds get direct sun so the ice melts pretty quickly around the edges.

Back
Top Bottom