Bow in back panel of acrylic tank - miracle or time bomb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

troiusmaximus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a noticeable bow in the back panel of my 55 gallon acrylic tank, but the bow does not appear to be growing. It has been there for quite a while (a year of more). Is this something I should be concerned about? I definitely don't want the tank to have a structural failure but it would be a great pain to replace since it is wedged into the wall.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have a noticeable bow in the back panel of my 55 gallon acrylic tank, but the bow does not appear to be growing. It has been there for quite a while (a year of more). Is this something I should be concerned about? I definitely don't want the tank to have a structural failure but it would be a great pain to replace since it is wedged into the wall.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

is it a clear back or colored?
colored acrylic tends to flex a little more, but I have tanks that are in excess of 30 years old (29gal & 80gal) and 15 years (50gal) that are still as watertight and secure as day 1.
My black-backed 29 and 50 both have more flex than does the 80 clear.
I have considered gluing a support to the back of the 29 gal as it bowed a bit more than I like, but more because it causes any HOB stuff to sit crooked.

what you need to look out for are the edges to see if any separation is happening.

It has a black back panel. No separation of any kind on the edges. The top has an acrylic brace that also has a bow upward. Maybe this is offsetting the bow in the back?

It has a black back panel. No separation of any kind on the edges. The top has an acrylic brace that also has a bow upward. Maybe this is offsetting the bow in the back?

the top bowing is often from exposure to heat from lighting.

You are most likely fine. As I said, I have tanks 30+ years old still doing fine.....(knocks wood)

Back
Top Bottom