Boyfriends new tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What brand of liquid test kit are you using?

You said you had the water tested, so I was wondering if just filled up the tank with water, had the LFS test the water after a week and called it good?

If so, the tank didn't even begin to cycle, and will real soon with fish in it.

A tank can't cycle in a week unless it has been seeded with seasoned filter media, gravel, or such from a cycled tank.

mudraker said:
What brand of liquid test kit are you using?

You said you had the water tested, so I was wondering if just filled up the tank with water, had the LFS test the water after a week and called it good?

If so, the tank didn't even begin to cycle, and will real soon with fish in it.

A tank can't cycle in a week unless it has been seeded with seasoned filter media, gravel, or such from a cycled tank.

Sorry but what does LFS mean?

adeebm said:
I've had tanks cycle in around a week. It depends on many factors like pH, temp, etc. But if liquid tests are showing 0 ammonia/nitrates and nitrates are rising then it should be cycled.

For the heater, it could be one of two problems. Either the internal thermostat is off a bit in which case just crank the dial up to adjust the temp. THe other case is that the heat loss is more than the heater can replace in which case the heater will be on all time but the water will be below the set temp. This is bad for the heater because it is constantly on and will shorten it's lifespan or cause it to break. The best thing to do is get a higher wattage heater, probably 50W if yours is 25W. You'll want to keep the tamp at around 75F, not too high since it seems you have evaporation problems.

To counter evaporation, you can top off daily or as needed. Since you can't fit a cover on there, you could also use something like saren wrap to cover the top.

Like people have said, you have a bit too many fish for that size tank. Molly's can get pretty large, and neons like swimming space. If you can, it would be better to return them and perhaps get some small fish like ottos or dwarf corys.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your fish!

--Adeeb

Well we did what you said, and the temperature is now showing 25C so that's better! And as for a cover not sure what saran wrap is but thanks for the suggestion! I think we're gonna get some acrylic (clear plastic) and fashion a cover out of it, with a box cut out the middle so the filter can fit in and everything.

As for the fish, the betta and mollies seem to be getting along fine, there's been no upsets so far. And the neons also seem happy, exploring the tank together.

I think we're gonna leave it how it is at the moment, keep testing the water, then if need be maybe look at getting another tank.

But your post really helped, thanks so much :)

LFS means Local fish store btw.

Good luck, and hope your fish live happily ever after

Back
Top Bottom