Brackish Biotope....Evergladesish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am thinking about doing a mangrove biotope with the following inhabitants:

Zebra Nerite
Bumblebee gobies
Fig 8 Puffer or GSP
Flounder

I am thinking I will plant mangrove shoots in a deep aragonite sandbed mixed with mineral mud (to give the muddy look at the bottom). 20 gallon tank, with low level for the water and a submersed filter, or canister, to keep movement down. I hear mangroves are slow moving. If i can find a way to extend a PF, i may use one, but I don;t want a lot of surface movement. I want the mangroves to actually root and grow way out of the tank.

Plants:

Mangroves
Java fern
Giant vallisinaria

I want a full on biotope going.

Any thoughts on my plans? Suggestions?

are the puffers safe with the gobies and flounders? they will ofcourse eat the snails.

the figure 8 should be ok in a 20, but the green spot really needs atleast a 30 gallon

Thanks =) I might do a whole troop of guppies and an axolotl instead =)

might want to drop the flounder, if your thinking of the one I am, it gets too big for a 20. i'd also be afraid of what the puffer would do to other fish in that small of a space.

i'd also stick with argonite, and drop the mud, gets a bit too messy sometimes

I agree with what the others have said: GSPs grow way too big even for a 30G IMHO. An F8 would be ok, but they need very low end brackish (1.005 max S.G. which really on the face of it is barely saltier than freshwater). I know people who keep BBGs in with F8s but its a risk you would be taking: they may end up food for the puffer.

Do you know that mangroves are 'tank busters' and require an open top tank? Puffers are notorious for jumping, so I'd either go with mangroves or with the puffer but not both, but personally I know of too many problems associated with mangroves to risk using them.

If this is your first time at creating a brackish environment, and you only have the 20G to hand, you may just want to go for simplicity and keep a single F8 in there :) Trust me, it will be just as enjoyable ;-) They're great little things.

I wouldnt even imagine trying to grow a mangrove from a glass tank. possibly from a glass front pond type setup. mangroves get big. you would need some sort of wet/dry setup, like an amphibious setup. IMO

Back
Top Bottom