Breaking fins, but no white stuff - could it be fin rot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

demurefemme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi everyone! i'm having a curious issue with my angelfish.

he is about four years old, and (i'm sorry, i don't know the technical name for them) the long thin fins that come out from his bottom side, right behind his head, have been breaking. they used to be about 5-6" long each and are now about 3" each. there is no apparent white guck or anything that looks like fin rot, but this has all happened in the last 48-72 hours. at first i thought he might have just gotten attacked by another fish, and one of his little fins might have broken, but now the other is short as well. that seems like too much to be a coincidence.

tank parameters - i need to run to the LFS for a new test kit for everything else, but ammonia at least is in the "ideal" range of my kit.

tank is 46 gal bowfront, it has been around for four years, set up in its current location for just under 2 years

i am running a HOT 180 and an Emperor 280

the angelfish has two mollies, a CAE (who i thought might be to blame, because as we all know, they're evil), a little bottom feeding catfish, a zebra danio, three long skirt tetras, and a clown loach as roomies.
he had a few more, but when i went out of town over christmas break, the caretaker was less than fabulous, and i came home to a tank full of dying fish. two 50% water changes a week fixed that, though, and i have had no problems since.

i am due for a water change - i change 50% every 2 weeks, and it has been about 2 weeks since i did this. (i run a lot of filtration, and this has been what i have done all along, and i have never had problems with levels spiking or fish dying/getting sick)

no changes in decoration or diet, but i did remove a HUGE clump of java fern about a week ago, when i cleaned out my HOT 180.

there has been no change in his appetite or behaviour, and there are no other signs of fin damage to any of his fins. everyone else in the tank is fine. i am going to perform standard maintenance, then head to the fish store for some more test kits. i will post the results when i get them.

any advice would be wonderful! thank you!

I'm almost positive that a tank mate has found this finnage appetizing.

I kept a pair of giant gouramis with my angels for about a year with no problem. One day they decided that just one of the angels fins looked delicious. I think if you watch the tank carefully (at different hours of the day), you'll find the perp. :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom