Breeding Jalo Afras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveC87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So last night I noticed in the Jalo Afra breeding tank that the male was starting his breeding dance. Yet the one female he was trying to breed with got beat to hell. First time I have had one this bad off.

She wont swim around sits on the bottom of the tank. I thought at first she was dead. I have pulled her since then. Still wont come off the bottom and when she does she swims straight up and then kinda just falls down.

She is not eating. I am at a complete loss. I do not know why he singled her out of the 5 females in the tank and beat her to hell. But I am trying to pull her through any tips on what could be done. I honestly think he just stressed her out way to much plus the chasing/nipping he had done.

Ive had this happen with my peacocks before. I pulled the beaten female that wasnt swimming or eating and put her in a tank by herself with a peice of pvc pipe for her to hide in. I left the lights off in the tank thinking maybe it would releive her stress. After a few days she got better and began swimming again and eating. After she was well enough i put her back in my main tank and sadly that night the male killed her. I have no idea why he singled her out.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

this is common for mbuna, it happens all the time. This is why you need 1 male for every 3-4 females so that the aggression is spread out.

Remove her from the tank and let her heal up. Add some aquarium salt.

Back
Top Bottom