Brenna ' s fish room basement build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found another albino bn pleco fry in the 55g and got it out. Bn dad came out of his tube and is at the other side of the tank and L333 female came out of her tube to see what was going on. Male L333 with suspected cory eggs/fry hasn't moved. The fry are going all over the tank. I cut a small zucchini in half and microwaved it to soften it up and put each half in a pleco tank. It still floated so I rubber banded the zucchini halves to rocks. Viola they sank!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1445059981218.jpg
    1445059981218.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 1445060015886.jpg
    1445060015886.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 1445060038962.jpg
    1445060038962.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 1445060058835.jpg
    1445060058835.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 49
More pics from today. I feel like such a hovering mother hen.
Also I got a decent picture of suspected male L333. I did notice he had a lot of odontodes.

Attachments

• 1445110034878.jpg
    1445110034878.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 1445110091129.jpg
    1445110091129.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 49
Ha! Well tonight instead of going to my highly overpriced 20 year class reunion I spent the evening with 2 kids under 10 and then played aquarium for a few hours. Everytime I look at my 55g for long enough I swear I spot another bn pleco fry. I've caught 4 in there just today. I'm pleased with this size of this spawn. I have at least 20 fry. Hopefully they all make it. I have albinos and various shades of browns with light spots.

Both the male and female L333 have come out of the tubes today. Not sure how much they've interacted. The albino bn male is back in a tube now. Since I've had him he rarely does much but tend his breeding tubes.
Gillie made me think of something interesting when he mentioned on his build thread that wild caught tetras act different around predators than tank raised. Yesterday when I had my hand in the tank with just the L333 female she barely moved. Just kinda looked at me and stayed where she was and my hand was close. She's a character. Since her new tank mates have been put it she's not as interested in rescaping her tank.

I forgot to mention I pulled a third batch of cory eggs tonight also. I changed half the water in the tub of fry and half in a tub of eggs and add a third tub of fresh eggs from this morning. So far I've mostly been feeding microworms and once or twice they got a drop or two of Liquid Fry #2. It comes in an eyedropper sized bottle and is marketed for livebearers. I've only ever used it with egg layers though. I am devising a plan for putting up more tanks. I can fit 7 x 10g on a metal rack. I need more tanks for the guppies. Also going to start selective breeding with the red line. All the adult guppies in my mom's room have been separated into male and female tanks. I need to sell off an entire tank out of the basement and then pull breeders out of two other tanks of them.
Also awhile back I purchased a brown male bn pleco to go with my mother's 2 or 3 females. He hangs out in his tube mostly but I am of the opinion that they all may be a bit too small to breed yet or at least the females at any rate. I'll be interested to see what colors of fry come from those fish. If I can set up another 7 tanks in the next month then I may grow albino cory fry and guppy fry out in the same tanks. That would be convenient. I did some reading on rearing cory fry and it is suggested to put a thin layer of sand on the bottom of their grow out containers because something about some bacteria or whatnot forming on a bare bottomed tank. Has anyone else hears of this?

Last edited:
Couple day old cory fry. Albino aeneus

Attachments

• 1445158357935.jpg
    1445158357935.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 55
I did some reading on rearing cory fry and it is suggested to put a thin layer of sand on the bottom of their grow out containers because something about some bacteria or whatnot forming on a bare bottomed tank. Has anyone else hears of this?

I was told this by a cory/pleco breeder years ago.
I have considered using a lite dusting in one my GBR tanks with all the trouble I have had..

I did some reading on rearing cory fry and it is suggested to put a thin layer of sand on the bottom of their grow out containers because something about some bacteria or whatnot forming on a bare bottomed tank. Has anyone else hears of this?

I haven't, but it makes me wonder about breeding bare bottom vs with sand... I may do some research and start a new thread

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I forgot to mention I pulled a third batch of cory eggs tonight also. I changed half the water in the tub of fry and half in a tub of eggs and add a third tub of fresh eggs from this morning. So far I've mostly been feeding microworms and once or twice they got a drop or two of Liquid Fry #2. It comes in an eyedropper sized bottle and is marketed for livebearers. I've only ever used it with egg layers though. I am devising a plan for putting up more tanks. I can fit 7 x 10g on a metal rack. I need more tanks for the guppies. Also going to start selective breeding with the red line. All the adult guppies in my mom's room have been separated into male and female tanks. I need to sell off an entire tank out of the basement and then pull breeders out of two other tanks of them.
Also awhile back I purchased a brown male bn pleco to go with my mother's 2 or 3 females. He hangs out in his tube mostly but I am of the opinion that they all may be a bit too small to breed yet or at least the females at any rate. I'll be interested to see what colors of fry come from those fish. If I can set up another 7 tanks in the next month then I may grow albino cory fry and guppy fry out in the same tanks. That would be convenient. I did some reading on rearing cory fry and it is suggested to put a thin layer of sand on the bottom of their grow out containers because something about some bacteria or whatnot forming on a bare bottomed tank. Has anyone else hears of this?

Indeed i have heard of this. I dont breed cories but quite a few friends/club members do. And they swear by the heavy dusting of sand for the spawning tanks. Seems fairly successful as my good friend was able to keep a better survival rate learning of this bacterial relationship w/ babies.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It makes sense in that corys are sifters anyways. Seems like barr bottom would add unnecessary stress??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well that's decided then. When these fry are big enough to go in a regular grow out tank instead of a plastic tub there will be sand. Glad for once I had the forethought to buy an extra 50lb bag of pfs just in case I needed it over winter for some reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Well that's decided then. When these fry are big enough to go in a regular grow out tank instead of a plastic tub there will be sand. Glad for once I had the forethought to buy an extra 50lb bag of pfs just in case I needed it over winter for some reason.

Just one? I think I might be over doing it, I have 8 bags of sand waiting to be used.

Well its his job. You still on light duty? I bought a big cube of peat moss and didn't think I was going to get that in the truck. I can hardly carry the pfs. Weak arms and bad back are no fun. Plus those bags of sand and such are always filthy.

What kind of shrimp is this vile creature? He's brown with a lighter stripe running all the way down his body. I know it's not RCS. I watched it drag a dead shrimp under a moss ball because I didn't get to it quick enough.

Attachments

• 1445233371575.jpg
    1445233371575.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 48
  • 1445233386830.jpg
    1445233386830.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 58
I put too much water in one container of cory eggs. I knew this and I needed a break and to eat dinner so I thought I'd come back to it later. Look what I found. Mr. Betta thought he'd rather hang out in the plastic container. I had to kinda corner him to lift him out too because he kept swimming away from me and I wasn't putting a net in there after I put all those eggs in. Ended up losing a few eggs anyway.

I made a noob move also and corrected it today in a panic. The 40b didn't have good water circulation or enough aeration. I put it off and today I find Mr. L333 with his little nose poking out of the water. I thought I was going to have a jumper. I very lightly touched him and he went under water then and I quickly unhooked the brine shrimp hatchery and hooked up 2 sponge filters and an air stone and put them in the tank. Fish seem much more comfortable now. Even the fry was hanging out by the top of the tank. When I fed them just a little while ago they seemed much more at ease and not hanging around the top. I thought I could rely on the canister filter and kept readjusting the out flow but that didn't work. I read that these L's like a lot of air so in the 55g of course I have it really aerated but failed to do so in the 40b. Too busy worrying about my dogs going on vacation and not paying attention to the process. I'm slightly ocd so I feed the fish in the same order everyday, you'd think I'd follow a pattern setting a tank up too because there's been enough set up lately.

Attachments

• 1445233624676.jpg
    1445233624676.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 1445234294038.jpg
    1445234294038.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 59
What kind of shrimp is this vile creature? He's brown with a lighter stripe running all the way down his body. I know it's not RCS. I watched it drag a dead shrimp under a moss ball because I didn't get to it quick enough.

So looks like i got a bamboo shrimp somehow? I don't want it. I don't think I can properly care for it even. It's in the low 40s here at night. I don't think that's shipping weather without heat. So do those pocket hand warmers work like the fish hot packs? Returning it to the lfs would doom it more than keeping it as their shrimp tank is a Fluval spec 2 or 3g. I could try to give it away to some random person on a Facebook fish forum in my area i guess. Rather send it to a friend. Thoughts and or opinions?

Back
Top Bottom