Bringing in goldfish for winter, need advice on filter choice for tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had 5 comets in a backyard pond for several months now but I have to bring them in as the temperature is starting to drop bellow 0 at night now. I have 2 tanks already setup a 20 gallon long and a 29 gallon. I know if I put the goldfish in either one I'm going to have to make some changes to filtration as I know how much waste these guys can produce. On my 20 gallon long I'm using an aquaclear 20 and a tetra whisper 30g. This tank houses 2 albino clawed frogs. On the 29g I'm using an ehiem 2213 and an aquaclear 50. This tank houses 2 small bushy nose plecos, a gold gorami, a platy and a fancy guppy. I have a few extra filters on hand but I want to know if there is any point in making changes to the set ups I already have. The extra filters I have are an aquaclear 300 and 2 marineland bio wheel 200 filters. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The fish/frogs need different temps than the goldfish. How big are they? Might be easier to purchase a stock tank like they sell as farm stores and keep them in the basement where it's cooler if you have one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The fish/frogs need different temps than the goldfish. How big are they? Might be easier to purchase a stock tank like they sell as farm stores and keep them in the basement where it's cooler if you have one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I always keep my tanks heated between 72-74 and I have found in the past the goldfish and tropical do fine with this. My main worry is filtration. I do water changes on my 29 gallon once every week but yet I still find the tank gets pretty dirty so it concerns me that I'm putting more fish in. I know having a stock tank would be a lot easier but I don't have the space or time to maintain another tank. What do you recommend I do about my filtration?

Plecs and goldfish are super waste producers. I'd go canister on the 20g and maybe a second canister on the 29g. I personally don't care for Eheim canisters after having had them. If you are on a budget a lot of people like the Sunsun canisters. I believe Amazon sells them. What percent of water are you changing weekly. I'd do 50%. You may have to do two changes a week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Plecs and goldfish are super waste producers. I'd go canister on the 20g and maybe a second canister on the 29g. I personally don't care for Eheim canisters after having had them. If you are on a budget a lot of people like the Sunsun canisters. I believe Amazon sells them. What percent of water are you changing weekly. I'd do 50%. You may have to do two changes a week.

I usually change 25% once every week but I think your right about changing that to 50. I've never heard of the Sunsun canisters so I'll have to look into those but I see they are fairly priced so that may be an option. Are canister filters more superior than HOB's or is it just a matter of choice?

Yeah you Def have to do 50% with goldfish. Canister filters hold way more media which translates into a lot more beneficial bacteria. The turnover rate for the water is usually much high. Meaning the water goes through the filter more times an hour.

Back
Top Bottom