Bristle Nose Pleco sticks to my filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vegasmadetank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright, I have a 4 inch bristle nose pleco that clings to the filter. I normally wouldn't worry but I have noticed that my tank has been dirtier since I've seen him sticking to the filter. My theory is that since he is suctioned on to the part of the filter where the water is pulled in and cycled from the tank, it's restricting the amount of water the filter is pushing out. Question is, how can I keep him off the filter tube thingy...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not 100% sure that his presence on the tub it causing the buildup. If he's blocking a portion of the tube, it can just suck water through the uncovered sections.

BNP like most plecs like to hide in the daytime. Have you provided a dark spot for him to hide in? Plecs often go for the filter or filter outlet as hiding places, albeit not very successfully because they can still be seen. Mine has a cave in the bogwood and its defo his home, no other fish goes near it. He comes out in the evening to feed and I suspect grazes around the tank at night.
He's a happy BNP I think.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom