bristle worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

S_Todd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all.. I'm somewhat new to the hobby.. (2 yrs or so. First year with a fowlr). I have recently noticed a decent amount of bristle worms in my 150 gal. reef. Largest I've seen is maybe 1.5". I've seen some posts who say leave them and others say get them out. What's the consensus here? Should they stay or should they go?

Hi it's up two you really as dont do any harm and clean areas where other cuc can't get too. If your feeding a lot there numbers will increase and can make or buy traps to keep there numbers down.

If you have them and see them it's time to make a trap before they get out of hand, you don't need pests to clean your tank!

That sounds like a plan. I try not to over feed but... I've read about the traps. I'll keep them in mind if I start seeing a lot. Thx.

Hmmm, K.. I'll make traps.. I'm guessing they can quickly get out of hand? I don't need any trouble makers. I've been working too hard to figure this stuff out. The way I see it there's no chance of a worm related problem without worms but at least a small chance with. I'll go without. Thx.

Bristols are a sign of a heathy tank. If you have a population problem it is due to over feeding. Feed less and over time the population will subside.

Imo i pull them out. Dont want to touch it if i plan on redoing my aquascape

Bristols are a sign of a heathy tank. If you have a population problem it is due to over feeding. Feed less and over time the population will subside.
(y)

This is correct and they are nothing to worry about. People call them pests, remove them, and then go out and spend lots of money on crabs and snails to do the same thing. It doesn't make much sense to me.

I leave mine in the tank. They are great janitors and help clean the tank. Just dont overfeed the tank and you'll keep the numbers in check.

Yeah, till they are big enough to snatch little fish, snails some other inverts maybe some coral,? Sure keep them around, they are beautiful!!! Fk just breed them!!!!

Yeah, till they are big enough to snatch little fish, snails some other inverts maybe some coral,? Sure keep them around, they are beautiful!!! Fk just breed them!!!!
Common bristle worms are not capable of catching fish, not do they even approach a healthy fish.
Common bristle worms do not eat healthy coral.

Why does everyone think they eat fish? They eat dead or decaying matter hence the term " good part of your cuc ". A crab is more likely to prey on a live fish being an opportunistic feeder, but the fish would have to already be in a weakened state for that to even happen. Why oh why do worms get such a bad rap........:)

Only the fire bristle worm is the one to avoid. Red and down right mean.

Light pink with white hair like spikes on side. My royal Gramma Basslet used share rock with some worms and always had face full of the spikes so if they eat fish then he would of had it along time ago

Pink and brown are normal they are fine to stay if you want. Fire engine red avoid those a holes.
Imo i wouldn't like any of my fish to have spikes in their face. I have a 4 inch coral banded shrimps that eat any new bristleworms that pop up in my tank

He was ok tho, the rocks in the sump now as trying get the last big one

Something like this-
seapic02-22_se33.jpg

Back
Top Bottom