Bristlenose Plecos not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got two bristlenose pleco's yesterday who are extremely shy at the moment. Any time I put an algae wafer near them they ignore it, and as soon as the other fish get a sniff of it they are all over it. Today I have tried some Zucchini near the driftwood cave where they hang out and still nothing.

I know they are primarily nocturnal, so I'm going to try the Zucchini again tonight after lights out.

Even though they haven't been eating the food I have provided, they are still very active munching on the wood and the glass all day long. Also, they are pooping like crazy! I'm actually glad they are pooping, but they're still only babies so it's insane how much they produce :D.

If they are constantly pooping all day long, I'm guessing they are getting enough food from the algae, wood, leftover food etc, so I shouldn't be worried about them not accepting other food yet?

And advice would be greatly welcomed :)

Edit: This is probably in the wrong forum now that I think of it. Please move it if you feel it is.

there eating you just don't see it they will scavenge the floor all day and night and find food no need to be alarmed

My BN rarely ventures out when the lights are on, even for food. Even the cherry shrimps spook him. But I've had him a year and a half and he's healthy and has grown. He lives in a cave behind heavy planting and with a torch I can see him looking out. In the blue night lighting he's very active. Plecs like to hide in the day and in a sparse tank will jam themselves behind filters and heaters to be in the dark. If yours are pooping then they sure are eating, they're just behaving naturally.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My BN rarely ventures out when the lights are on, even for food. Even the cherry shrimps spook him. But I've had him a year and a half and he's healthy and has grown. He lives in a cave behind heavy planting and with a torch I can see him looking out. In the blue night lighting he's very active. Plecs like to hide in the day and in a sparse tank will jam themselves behind filters and heaters to be in the dark. If yours are pooping then they sure are eating, they're just behaving naturally.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, that's reassuring. They also spend a lot of their time behind the filter, but even after one day they have been a lot more active than they were yesterday.

They're super cute tho. Wish I had a night light to see them after lights out :)

Mine live off the algae in my tank. I dont need to feed them

Back
Top Bottom