broken-mouth gourami & the 13 fishese in 10 g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arrow1234

Aquarium Advice Regular
so i just took a look at my tank, and start counting them 1 by 1.... oohh... i got 13 fishes already, damn, i need to stop buying more fish. Totally i got 13 fishes, as below:

1 starter fish (feeder fish, look like a goldfish, the only survival thru the nitrogen cycle)
2 zebra danios
4 tetras (2 neon tetra, other 2 cant remember its name)
1 dwarf frog
1 cory
2 guppies(1Male, 1Female)
2 gold gouramis

are thesse 13 fishes too much for my 10g tank? :) or can i add some shark or tiger barb (aggressive fish) ?

also i wanna know if all these fishes can stay well with each other? (i dont see them tearing each other apart so far, but still wanna know :))

and 1 more queation, i bought the 2 gouramis today, and just noticed that 1 of them has a broken mouth which looks red and burst, but nothing falling apart, hes still able to swim around and open his mouth. However. he acts strange, he always (the only 1) swim to the surface and stick his mouth(the broken part) outta water, then after that, swimming down, and he also act inactive, compare to the other gourami

is he infected? i can take picture if i need to, and how can i treat him? or he will be fine ?

the gold gourami's will grow to about 5 inches and become agressive/Territorial usually when they are larger I have one in my 75G tank along with 2 Young Opaline Gouramis and he is a little agressive if they venture to close to him and most sharks need a larger tank. the average is 1 Inch of fish is a gallon, of course with some exceptions.

I'd bring the gourami's back if I were you. 10G is too small a tank for them as adults. Instead get more cories - they like to be in groups and they are much more fun when you can watch the interactions between them. Try to get 2 so you have a total of 3.

The goldfish will need to be put in a 10-30 gallon coldwater tank or be brought back to the store. They shouldn't live with tropical fish with and they also produce a lot of waste so they need a lot of room per fish. They need extra filtration, water below 70 degrees, and a ph around 7.6-8 (whereas your tropicals will do best in a slightly acidic water). I don't know about the frog.

I agree. I would take back the gouramis AND the feeder goldfish. Both will outgrow your tank. You'll be much happier, and your fish much healthier without them in there. I can also forsee you having agression issues with the gouramis as well.

As for the mouth, a picture would help. Most issues like that are either skeletal (as in the fish getting lockjaw and not being able to fix it) or a bacterial issue. Personally, I'd take the fish back to the store anyways and let them know it was like that when you bought it.

I agree with everyone else. I have more suggestions though....like above, I suggest you take the gouramis back. I would also take back the feeder fish, the danios, and 2 of the tetras.

I would in return get 4 more of the same type of tetra (either the neons or other type) and 3 more cories.

Can you look around on the profiles of fish and try to ID your tetras and cories? That will play a huge part in how long they can stay in the 10g and what can be kept with them.

I suggest you get more of the neons. They are small enough to be kept in a 10g. Obviously you don't know that a 10g is rather small. Stocking is limited and its best to research before you buy.

If you want to keep most of the fish appropriately, mainly the danios and other tetra type, I would invest in a 40g tank or larger. That will allow you to give all the schooling fish (danios and tetras) appropriate numbers. The cory also probably needs a bigger tank, depending on what type it is.

Research is the key...keep that in mind if you setup another tank!

If you want platies, then get rid of all the tetras, danios, and gouramis. Platies get about 2 inches...and if you have males and females, they will reproduce and overstock the tank further.

that is alot of fish for a small tank, I've kept more ina 10 gallon though, wasn't pretty though, the tank would turn so green that it had to be tore down every other week, how they survived for so long I have no idea, but asmentioned you should get rid of the feeder fish since goldfish need a water temp of 68 degrees fahrenheit, and they get rather big, trust me I know, for the longest time I had a koi fish in a 29 gallon that was stuffed with other massive fish, I didn't know it was a koi, nor did I know that there was such a thing as koi's the LFS told me it wasa comet lol

The tank won't turn green from being overstocked, that's from lighting. Green water is healthy for fish. I think your tetras will do fine as is with just platies, danios, and guppies. There will be no large aggressive to put stress on them so they will be ok without a school.

DepotFish said:
The tank won't turn green from being overstocked, that's from lighting. Green water is healthy for fish. I think your tetras will do fine as is with just platies, danios, and guppies. There will be no large aggressive to put stress on them so they will be ok without a school.

what about if i upgrade my tank to 30-50 gallon, and put the same current species into it, also put tiger barb and sharks(other semi-aggressive), will that be ok fine?

tropicfishman said:
that is alot of fish for a small tank, I've kept more ina 10 gallon though, wasn't pretty though, the tank would turn so green that it had to be tore down every other week, how they survived for so long I have no idea, but asmentioned you should get rid of the feeder fish since goldfish need a water temp of 68 degrees fahrenheit, and they get rather big, trust me I know, for the longest time I had a koi fish in a 29 gallon that was stuffed with other massive fish, I didn't know it was a koi, nor did I know that there was such a thing as koi's the LFS told me it wasa comet lol

lol i wonder if people want koi and goldfish, y dont they buy feeder fish(a lot cheaper), baby fish of goldfish, and start petting them instead of buying grown goldfish which is unfiarly expensive

oh.... i took the gouramis back yesterday, the broken mouth gourami came out death and sink down to the bottom :(:(:(, instead, i purchased platies and corys :)

If you upgraded then you would have plenty of room for two or three more of each tetra. What do you mean by the koi and goldfish? I have plenty of comets (feeder) but many fish stores buy goldfish usually in lots of 1000-5000. They pick out the low quality fish for feeder fish, then slowly seperate off more lower quality fish as they grow. By the time they get to the large fish they can tell which are the highest quality. In a lot of 5000 fish they will only get a few that are high quality or show quality and these are the fish that will bring in the money to pay for the runoff. If one wants a very high quality goldfish then they are going to buy as an adult so they can see the quality. With goldfish cheaper and smaller usually means lower quality, which is why the store is selling them off. Goldfish don't get colour until they are several months old and the store can usually get them to grow 4 or more inches in a year, so size never indicates age. A low quality, small comet might be two years old while a large oranda might be just a year.

The smallest size tank for any shark is a 55 gln. One Redtailed Black shark could work in that. Bala's need a minimum of 120 gln. and swim in schools. Research other sharks but I don't think any would work.

Tiger Barbs need to be in schools of five or more. They would work in the 50 gln. tank but you have to really watch their tankmates. Tigers tend to finnip any fish that have long flowing fins (Angels, Bettas, Male Swordtails, Guppies, etc.). Some people have been able to make it work by having a larger school of Tiger Barbs so they mess with each other instead of the other fish in the tank.
Many fish will seem to be fine with each other for a few days, weeks or even months but as they grow older their true nature will appear. So - always read up on any fish before you buy and make sure they fit for the long term.

Back
Top Bottom