brooklynella?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moonraker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hello guys! i am new here so i hope you would help me... and quick if that's not too much to ask?

this morning, i noticed that my flagfin angel developed some white patches all over his body. though i didn't notice any adverse reactions from this, i opted to do a 10 minute freshwater dip just to be sure. i know this is something serious because from hindsight, a couple of really healthy bi-color angels i had in the past developed similar symptoms where their entire body turns hazy, almost white and then dying a day later.

i know this is not ich because there are no apparent white spots. i also discount the fact that this might be velvet because the fish doesn't exhibit rapid breathing nor flashing and he is still feeding. same thing in the past with my bicolors. my best guess is that this might be brooklynella. what do you think? how can i cure it?

i also put a really nice centropyge flavicauda yesterday before i noticed the disease on my flagfin. what are the chances that this fish might contract the disease? what can i do to prevent it from attaching to this fish? i also have a whitecheek tang, clown tang and 2 ocellaris clowns in with these angels, though i don't seem to notice the parasites attaching to them... ever! why could this be?

i'm planning to do a 25% water change tomorrow to help alleviate the situation.

btw, i have been treating this tank with hyposalinity[1.009 spg] for more than a month now from an ich outbreak that occured.

pardon me for the long story, just like to divulge all important details. thanks!

regards,
mitch

what can i do to prevent it from attaching to this fish? i also have a whitecheek tang, clown tang and 2 ocellaris clowns in with these angels, though i don't seem to notice the parasites attaching to them... ever! why could this be?

Because it is not a parasite. I have large doubts that the flagfin is afflicted with brooklynella hostillis, I find it much more likely that it is a bacterial infection. The reason it doesn't spread, is because almost all bacterial infections are secondary to something else, like the stress of transfer, injury or parasitic infestation.

If this were my fish, I would quarantine the fish, setting up the quarantine tank with water from the main tank, slowly (over a week) bring the SG back up to a normal range), and treat with maracyn and maracyn 2.

yes, it doesn't seem to be brooklynella but the symptoms seemed to point otherwise. well, he seems to be better now. the freshwater dip must have saved him for the meantime. nonetheless, i'll try to improve the tank conditions and re-set up the quarantine tank in case of a recurence. unfortunately, maracyn is not available locally and i'll just have to resort to other antibiotics... what do you think is a great alternative?

thanks for the quick response!

Back
Top Bottom