Brown Algae in 55g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chriznat20@msn.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I vacuumed my gravel and performed a 30% water change today, as preventative maintenance and noticed a good amount of brownish algae on my tank glass (inside the tank, of course! :wink: ) and on my plastic plants. My light are on maybe 6 hours a day, and the tank isnt in direct sunlight. I also am not an overfeeder. About 2-3 weeks ago, I cleaned the tubes on my whisper filters and now the algae is back there. How do I get rid of it? My 3 snails, 1 pleco, and 1 loach havent touched the algae at all. Isnt brown algae the stuff you dont want??

What type and wattage are your lights. I know when my Tritons get old I develope
a brown algae. After replacing the lights and a water change the Algae is gone.
Also your right you don't want brown Algae.

algae

From my experience brown algae if from the wattage not being strong enough for the green algae to grow.

When I dropped into my LFS today, they informed me that I shouldnt worry about the brown algae, it means my tank is cycled and it healthy. They said my 3 snails, pleco, or loach will take care of it for me.
The good thing that came out of it is I plan on going back this weekend and buying some anacharis. :D

My tank is just starting to get some small brown spots on the front wall. It is in day 20 of the cycle. I noticed today that the sunlight at mid-morning reflects off the tiled floor onto the tank so I guess this is stimulating the growth. I do hope to add a bristlenose to the tank once I have added some plants after the cycle is complete.

Louise

hmm, I also seem to have a few brown algae blooms and the ottos and snail aren't touching it.

what to do, what to do... :?

Back
Top Bottom