Brown algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anemone afterlife

Aquarium Advice Regular
I did a compete rescape of my 20 gallon aquarium
It was good for about 10 days but soon it has begun to grow a large amount of brown algae on plant leaves

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How big is the tank, what type of light and for how long is it on? What does the algae look like? Is it fuzzy, stringy, or does it have branches like a stags horn. Try reducing your light to 6 hours and remove what you can. You can also treat with hydrogen peroxide like you clean wounds with. Get a medicine syringe and pull up 3 cc of peroxide. Turn filters off. Slowly squirt perocide onto algae. Wait 15 minutes and turn filters back on. You can do 2 treatments a day, 6 cc at a time, on a 20 gallon tank. Larger tanks can handle 3 or 4 treatments a day with not problems for tank inhabitants. This will help until you get the cause under control.

Thank you for the peroxide idea
The lighting is probably on too long
I'll drop it down to 6 hours a day from now on to see if that helps

Sounds like diatoms. Did you change the substrate? Otos, amanos, or nerite snails should do well against that stuff.

I think I just added a little too many root tabs and it caused a spike in fertilizer in the tank

I had brown algae after cycling my tank for two months (planted), but after adding 11 otocinclus (6 survived), I have no more brown algae and its a 55gal long. They do a fantastic job. In fact I make sure I have enough ferts in the substrate and water column to make algae for the fish to eat but not so much that it takes over. I had to adjust my lighting and CO2 scheduling to accommodate and keep the algae under control but my tank remains crystal clear and there is plenty for the otos to eat - they ignore algae tablets.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom