brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crobo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a thin layer of what looks like brown algae growing in my tank, its on the rocks and will accumulate on any rough surface that has a reasonable amount of flow on it. I thought it was cyano but its really not red and there is plenty of flow in the tank so I think that might be in incorrect diagnosis.

Tank is 37 gal and i do a 5g water change once a week lights are on for ~10h a day. i would test for trates and phosphates, but i have a feeling tha the agae is just using it up so that wont really help. I use rodi. I've been running chemipure elite for a week now with no results.

The reason I'm posting a thread is becasue i cant seem to find any info on any type of brow algae that isnt diatoms or cyano. see attached pics

60897-albums10974-picture47200.jpg

60897-albums10974-picture47200.jpg

thanks for any info you guys can provide

Not the coralline, it's hard to see but just to the left the the sea whip there are like little brown hairs

they are red slime algae, or call cyanobacteria.
It usually cause by too much feeding with left over, and also could be too long of lighting that is in green/yellow spectrum
or
you have high level of nitrate/phosphate.

Brush it off with a toothbrush it's not red slime. A hector goby or a herbivore wrasse or such will enjoy it. Keep up with maint. brushing it off glass etc. it will go away don't overfeed

Back
Top Bottom