Brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ukbball72

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting to get a lot of this brown algae on my decorations and glass what causes this and what should I do about it. Thank you very much

Brian

How long has the tank been setup? Do you have a picture?

It is probably just diatoms but hard to tell without seeing it.

Often caused by excess silicates in a new aquarium.

It will often go away on it's own once the tank becomes established or you get something that eats diatoms.

It will often go away on it's own once the tank becomes established or you get something that eats diatoms.

What will eat them I have cichlids

Amano shrimp ate decent for eating algae. I can vouch for them for eating diatoms! You will have to do some research to make sure they are compatible with your cichlids though

What kind of cichlids? Nerite snails, otocinclus and farlowella will all eat diatoms but they may or may not be compatible with your cichlids.

I have lake Malawi and Mumbai I have about 24 in this tank and I am having same trouble in saltwater tank i

To much light causes it also so probably best to not use light for as many hours and do a decent water change possibly scub down objects within the tank also

The best thing that you can do for diatoms is to keep up with water changes and have consistency with your tank (don't move stuff around and stir up the substrate, don't do any large overhauls, etc.). Good filtration and flow will also help with diatoms. Eventually, the diatoms will go away.

If you have no other plants I heard that covering your tank with a blanket or something to cause complet darkness can help. Not sure if it works for everyone but it worked for my friend

Back
Top Bottom