Brown Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soldier0117

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had a 55 gal. FOWLR tank for about 5 1/2 months now and I recenty installed a wet/dry to replace my undergravel. Also I shoveled out the crushed coral I was using and replaced it with a mix of live and dead argonite sand. But when I did this brown alage started growing all over the sand. When the tank was new there was brown algae at first but it died off and now its everywhere since the new sand was put in. Any ideas why or what to do about it.

P.S. my lighting is power compacts at 260 watts

I agree with Lindsay. I would also make sure your water is in good shape. There is no telling what you stirred up when you remove the substrate. You could possibly have a mini cycle....Test, test, test!

I agree that the stirring up of the CC to sand probably might be what is causing this to happen. I`m sure some of the nasties got stirred up fueling the algea.

I replaced mine about a month ago, the same thing happned to me. Just give it time. It should go away. Just make sure you keep upi your PWC's!

Back
Top Bottom