Brown Algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I seem to have a big brown algea problem tank is full of it keep wiping off but keeps coming back. Is there something I am doing wrong or is there something I can do to eliminate this problem. I have read that it will go away but doesnt seem to be happening just getting worse. All my levels are good amonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 5.

Thank You

how old is your tank? My 55 gal is 6 months old, and every now and then I get a little patch in one corner. It usually happens after I let my boys feed the fish.

I've read that diatoms (brown algae) thrive on the high phospates in new tanks, as well as the free silica from the substrate. As these are used up, the diatoms' food source is eliminated and they die off. I've had my 20 gallon set up again for nearly 4 years, and never have diatoms in it, but I got them in waves for about the first year I was running it. My 55 still gets patches here and there, it's only about 6 months old. Even when it shows up in the 55, the patches are smaller than they were the last time, so i think it's almost done.
I say all this to say, it will eventually go away, just be patient with it. Wipe it off when it looks really ugly, otherwise let it run its course.

How long do you leave your lights on daily? When dealing with algae cutting your lighting down to 6 hours a day will help alot. After it's under control you can slowly increase you time to 8 hours a day but no longer. If the diatoms are driving your crazy you can get a few nerite snails as they love diatoms. They also can't breed in freshwater so you won't get over run with them.

Back
Top Bottom