Brown dust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidelijah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering what this brown dust looking stuff all over my rocks?And how it happend and how to get rid of it?Please help someone and yes I'm new

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

New tanks have silicates in them, and almost all tanks will get Diatoms, which you have now. They will stay and eat up the silicates, then will die on their own. There is no need to add or do anything to get rid of them.

Well thanks for the response,and that sucks.So after that I'll clean my tank and rocks and start over?

Well thanks for the response,and that sucks.So after that I'll clean my tank and rocks and start over?

You can just give everything a good cleaning. You can use a clean brush for the rocks and just an algae scraper for the glass. There's no need to start anything over. Diatoms are just something that happens in a tank when it's first starting to mature.

Oh well that's better news,thanks for the advise

Well I did like you said,now just sit back and see what happends,not sure if I got it all out of my sand,I was vacuum up a lot of water with it,but thanks again

Well I did like you said,now just sit back and see what happends,not sure if I got it all out of my sand,I was vacuum up a lot of water with it,but thanks again

It can take up to a few months before the diatoms wear themselves out.

Back
Top Bottom