Brown residue on tank glass and plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newlyobsessed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all! Happy Holidays! My 55 gallon has been up and running with just one common goldfish in it, for about 3 months now. A months ago I got some new led lights on just one side. I have no live plants. Last week I noticed a brown residue on one side of the front glass on my tank. I cleaned it off. This week the brown residue is back on the glass in the same place and also on my plastic plants. What is this and should I be worried?

Your Tank

Hello all! Happy Holidays! My 55 gallon has been up and running with just one common goldfish in it, for about 3 months now. A months ago I got some new led lights on just one side. I have no live plants. Last week I noticed a brown residue on one side of the front glass on my tank. I cleaned it off. This week the brown residue is back on the glass in the same place and also on my plastic plants. What is this and should I be worried?

Hello New...

It takes many months for all the contents of the tank to settle. My recommendation is not worry about the brown residue. It could be one of the many forms of algae that develop in fish tanks. What you can do is change most of the tank water every week to maintain a steady water chemistry. Setting up and following a sound water change routine is the best way to maintain a balanced and healthy tank.

B

Algae possibly

So what I’m understanding is that this could be beneficial growth? I do a 25% water change weekly. It’s been a busy month for me so I haven’t tested the water since the beginning of the month. I was gonna do a 50% water change today and clean all the plants with vinegar. Should I not do that?

Most likely just diatoms, which occurs from the leaching of silicates from aquarium gravel, ornaments, and even glass of an aquarium if it is new. They will go away eventually. Frequent water changes will help it along. Another thing I have used that helps is putting Chemi-pure in filter

Back
Top Bottom