Buffy's 1st Ever SW Build - Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, so true. I had the maroon clowns on my "wishlist" from the start but after seeing them for real and not just "babie" wow. I really want them now.

Buffy said:
Yes, so true. I had the maroon clowns on my "wishlist" from the start but after seeing them for real and not just "babie" wow. I really want them now.

They are gorgeous fish when of I had known what I know now.. I would have got a pair long time ago..

I have kept them over the years. They are intelligent (for fish) but can be very aggressive with other clowns. Don't use a net on them as their spines can get caught.

huma-huma said:
ill sell ya my maroon and yellow lol. hes full grown and now i cant add another clown:(

I would but it would tare my two oc' s up..

ill sell ya my maroon and yellow lol. hes full grown and now i cant add another clown:(

I'd love to buy it, but supposed to get in a pair right? Besides I can't add anything yet. I still don't like my parameters.

Thanks though.........grrr I hate to pass it up but all I can say is grrrr LOL

Buffy said:
I'd love to buy it, but supposed to get in a pair right? Besides I can't add anything yet. I still don't like my parameters.

Thanks though.........grrr I hate to pass it up but all I can say is grrrr LOL

How's the trates coming?

How's the trates coming?

I'm assuming S---s, since I haven't tested since last results and the last 3 tests were identical. Fell asleep last night so didn't do all the testing stuff. Going to do it now. If I get same numbers then calling manufacturer.

Buffy said:
I'm assuming S---s, since I haven't tested since last results and the last 3 tests were identical. Fell asleep last night so didn't do all the testing stuff. Going to do it now. If I get same numbers then calling manufacturer.

Do u het same number even after doing water change

I don't understand why you don't see a drop when you exchange water. May be the live rock curing, or did you use artificial rock?
You are doing exactly the right things by waiting until the tests show you are cycled before proceeding. It will happen, it is within the laws of nature!

I would you may have gotten a bad batch With the heat wave we had and those things sitting in a 140 degree warehouse some are bound to be bad. I wonder just how many have called all ready :banghead:

It takes a while for the live rock to settle in. There is usually a big die off already started by the time it gets to you sometimes. That all the stuff you might be seeing, but it should settle in. There may then be a algae bloom, that too shall pass. As the tank starts to cycle, things smooth out. Then you get to have fun, expensive fun, as hobbies tend to spiral out of control in my house. ;-) But you can always pick a spot for the first frag.

It takes a while for the live rock to settle in. There is usually a big die off already started by the time it gets to you sometimes. That all the stuff you might be seeing, but it should settle in. There may then be a algae bloom, that too shall pass. As the tank starts to cycle, things smooth out. Then you get to have fun, expensive fun, as hobbies tend to spiral out of control in my house. ;-) But you can always pick a spot for the first frag.

Well since, I'm waiting...in between everything else (Just got done cleaning/fillet 13 pan fish), I've been working more with the rock, I had forgot there were a few pieces that weren't sturdy and well of course, this got moved, then that and so on and now...welllllll I'm still working on it. Got time while I wait for the parameters to get in line.

Algae bloom? I understand it butttt what color? I have red "buds" in various places. First there were a few now there is alot more. Also on one side of one of my "live" rocks is blackish in color...Is that what you mean by die off?

Also on some of the "live" rock there are "stringy" things, I wanna say like peach fuzz but how bout hairy peach fuzz. There seems to be alot of that of some of the rocks and none on others? Is that "hair algae"? Too small to take a picture of.

Still didn't get to the tests, was last day off and had alot to do. Light is set aside. I really need to hang that thing, with some sort of "pulley" fixture so I can raise it easily when I want to work. I could not move rock around with it there, so how am I gonna get to fish and put in coral and stuff. I have hanging wire for the ceiling (still trying to get my ladder back though lol), so does anyone have suggestions for rigging up a "pulley" type cable so I can raise and lower easily?

Thanks all.

It could be any type, hair, red, cyno. My point was the bloom should be brief and a prelude to the tank cycling properly. Just remove it when it happens as best you can, then prepare for fish/coral. There is such a smorgasbord of life on the rocks, it is hard to point out what is what, worms, tunicates, algae, bacteria, it's all there. Some will die off adding organics to the water, others will take over and start to help the tanks ability to cope with the organics. Just takes some time to settle down. When algae grows it is because there are organics available to it. It will absorb those organics and if you then dispose of the algae, you removed those organics from the system. If you just scrap the algae and leave it, it will dissolve and release it's organics to just start over again. It is the principle behind my algae turf scrubber. I use the algae to strip my tank of organics, then harvest it.

Back
Top Bottom