Build my 40g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badambomb79

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok this post is for my bro he got a 40g breeder from petco 1$ gallon sale. Also picked up a fluval 305 for 41$ becuase it was missing a 10$ hose. Anyways were thinking of pool filter sand substrate maybe a light blue or black painted background 4 discus and some schooling fish. These of course are thoughts and I would love feedback from you folks to help us out thanks in advance.

Ok this post is for my bro he got a 40g breeder from petco 1$ gallon sale. Also picked up a fluval 305 for 41$ becuase it was missing a 10$ hose. Anyways were thinking of pool filter sand substrate maybe a light blue or black painted background 4 discus and some schooling fish. These of course are thoughts and I would love feedback from you folks to help us out thanks in advance.

I'm sorry to say but a 40 gallon is not big enough for discus. You could do angel a few dwarf cichlids and a school or two of small fish tho.

Ok that sounds good I was thinking it was gonna be a bit small but angels and dwarf cichlids sound like some nice fish to keep plus not having to use rodi water will be better for him

The 40b has a great footprint, but I wouldn't put an angel in it because I just don't think the tanks are tall enough for them. If you wanted dwarf cichlids I'd say you could do 2 pairs of them, but the tank should have enough hiding places and broken up sight lines. These are just some suggestions for fish but here are some of my favorites.

4x bolivian/blue ram
3x pearl gourami
12-15 harlequin rasboras
2x swordtails

The 40b has a great footprint, but I wouldn't put an angel in it because I just don't think the tanks are tall enough for them. If you wanted dwarf cichlids I'd say you could do 2 pairs of them, but the tank should have enough hiding places and broken up sight lines. These are just some suggestions for fish but here are some of my favorites.

4x bolivian/blue ram
3x pearl gourami
12-15 harlequin rasboras
2x swordtails

I wouldn't reccomend having 4 rams in one tank. Even rivercats has trouble with 4 in her 220G. Maybe you could use that list but instead of 4 rams do
2x German blue rams
2x apistogramma agasizzi

I have 2 pairs of bolivians in one tank. Yeah, they chase each other off when one of the pairs is guarding eggs, but when there are no eggs they all hang out together. They've never even so much as damaged a fin on one another. So if by trouble you mean they chase each other off, then I guess so.

Back
Top Bottom