Building new 29G Planted - Need Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmcclain

Aquarium Advice Newbie
All -

My wife gave me the order to 'start over' with my aquarium and create a nice lush planted aquarium (29g) (I want people to see green first then see the fish living in a nice tank).

For the record, I'm planning on getting an Eheim Pro II filter w/heater.

I've read the stickys which are great, but I do have some questions.

I think I can get some really great plant ideas from here, but I'm a bit stuck on few things and could use some advice:

It sounds like I should use 24" Coralife strip with a single 65w bulb? Is this sufficient?

Also, for a 29g can I get away with a DIY CO2? Or do I need something more complicated?

Finally, since I already have some gravel from my current aquarium, I was just going to mix this with some substrate to help the cycling? Does this make sense?

Any ideas or experiences with similar set ups would be appreciated.

The 65w bulb will give you planty onf liight for low light - medium light plants. I have a 36 gallon tank and have a DIY self Co2 system. I am able to maintan 25ppm levels of CO2.

I actually bought the twin 65w light for my tank from Big Als. It is a USA Current, but I wanted to play with higher light plants.

Adding some gravel will help with the cycle. You may want to use Eco-Complete for the substrate, will make growing your plants easier.

Rich

With the wattage and tank size you posted, you are at @2.24 wpg, just at the threshold for CO2.

You can use regular pea-sized gravel (Estes type brand) but, you may need to provide root tabs for nutrient addition to the substrate if you don't want to go with Eco-Complete.

If you want, take a look at my tank clicky. It is a low-light tank with reg pea-sized gravel. Plants include: Anacharis, java fern (both broad and narrow leaf), amazon swords and a ludwigia repens (as an experiement). I use root tabs once a month and does nitrogen only if levels go under 20ppm.

HTH.

Correct me if I am wrong, but for a 29 gallon tank wouldn't you want to get a 30" fixture instead? My 29 gallon tank is 30" long.

If you want to look at plant options based on the amount of light they require click on the link below. I have found it very useful.

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_cat.php?category=1

There are several different ways you could go with lighting on a 29 gallon tank. I have some African fern and various Anubias growing perfectly fine under a single 20W bulb on my 29 gallon African biotope tank. The substrate I use is potting soil covered by pea gravel. I dose the tank with Flourish twice a week. These plants don't demand a lot of light and grow very slowly but the tank is doing well.

At the extreme other end I have 96W of light on my 30 gallon South American community tank and the plants are growing like crazy. I use Flourite as the sole substrate and dose with Flourish, Flourish Iron, Flourish Potassium and have a Hagen yeast CO2 system (soon to be replaced with pressurized CO2).

Am I correct to say that a Coralife 2x65w is overkill for a 29G?

I like the idea of lunar lights - and it seems only the 2x kits contain them??

Thoughts?

A 2x65W fixture would give you almost 4.5wpg. While lunar lights may be nice, I would recommend getting less lighting and then look at buying a lunar light separately if you still want one.

It it has two switches like mine does. You could just turn one on untill you want to go high light. You would also have an instant backup light.

What budget has your wife given you? This will answer a lot of questions. I would not recomend mixing gravels (you can't "undo" it later). I suggest buying 60lb of Eco Complete.

mixing gravel is not such a bad thing...it sort of depends on aesthetics. i wanted to use eco-complete (flourite is WAY too dusty for my taste), but had decided that i didn't want that matte solid black look for my substrate. i used about 2 inches of eco-complete, and then layered another inch of 2 different colors of estes natural pea sized gravel on top--one was lighter, and one was darker. it gives a nice variegated look to the substrate and has that "natural" look to it. so i get the benefits of the eco-complete (which stays underneath the gravel), as well as having (what i consider to be) an aesthetically pleasing substrate ;)

but hashbaz is right--it's a real pain to change substrate, so once it goes in, it's pretty hard to modify...i agonized for WEEKS over my substrate...

You can hang some gravel in a filter bag, then pull it out later. I did that and I moved a 5" piece of driftwood from my 29 gal into my 10 to cycle the 10. It took about two weeks to cycle.

Back
Top Bottom