bulging tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
today i noticed my tank was slightly bulging/bowing on the front and back i can squeeze it back but it just returns to the bulge ive only had it a couple of months its 63 gallons is this normal

So your seeing movement from the silicone, as in the glass plates are moving? Then that tank needs to be stripped down and resealed prior to a seam failure.

Where is it bulging? Did you buy the tank new? If so, I'd contact the manufacturer. Every tank I've ever seen has some sort of warranty, usually tanks 40g+ have several years warranty

the pains of glass that run the lenght of the glass are bowing ever so slighty i only noticed it because my hud doesnt fit perfectly anymore.
so if you imagine from the top view looking down on the tank instead of seeing a rectanlge its looks like the long sides are curved slighty. is this a big problem?

yes i bought it new only a few months old its a fluval roma 240

Take some very clear pictures, and contact the manufacturer. Try to get some shots from above, so the pics show the degree of curvature. They will tell you if you are about to have a problem. You may have to call them...emails do not seem to often result in actual contact, but if you can get someone's email address over the phone you can then send them the pictures.

Having had a 90 gallon tank crack and empty a few years ago, I would suggest that you waste no time...big, big, mess.

DO NOT squeeze it any more! That will just add stress, and hasten a possible problem.

Is this a glass walled tank or an acrylic?

If it is glass, then it is rather alarming that it is bowing at all. Glass should never do that under normal circumstances. It could mean that micro-fractures are present in the glass. If there are, it is getting ready to fail. Spectacularly...

It is possible for an acrylic to do this, but if it is, it means that the seams are failing and need to be repaired.

yes a small one. here are some pictures its a very suttle bow but i can definatly squeeze it back to were it was (dont worry i wont anymore tho)
if you look at the gap in between the rim of the aquarium and the lid that gap never use to be there it is on the other side aswell

37953-albums1631-picture12846.jpg

i have sent an email with pictures to hagen hopefully this is normal

Does this tank have a center brace? I'm looking at some pics on google of a roma240 that has a center brace on it. If it does, check to see if it's cracked.

A tank bowing like that is not good, and I'd lower the water level until the issue is resolved.

yes it has a centre brace i cant see any cracks in it tho

Do you have a clear pic of the entire top of the tank without the lid on it? Just trying to get an idea of what's going on. That brace should be attached to the glass on the front and back of the tank, so it shouldn't be able to bow at all.

Back
Top Bottom