Bumblebee Goby and tank size confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camescu

Aquarium Advice Freak
They could both be right, from memory there are 3 or 4 species commonly called bumblebees, one is considerably smaller than the biggest if you take mass of fish into account, this is a big difference. In any case the bigger tank will give you a more stable environment, I kept mine for maybe 6 years. Get lots because they are easier to feed that way. They have special requirements regarding general care. They move to freshwater annually to breed, this should be mirrored in captivity.

I've found live aquaria to have some quite off facts. Some of their Info is actually fairly good while some is way off. Just a side note...

Cheers. To clarify, I'm not looking at getting these but just selected it as an example of the confusing variation of info out there.

Is there anywhere that is generally considered most accurate for all species? Where do the experts go to check etc?

Cheers. To clarify, I'm not looking at getting these but just selected it as an example of the confusing variation of info out there.

Is there anywhere that is generally considered most accurate for all species? Where do the experts go to check etc?

Books, see my profile, I hate misleading info. Baensch series or aqua log are widely regarded as science grade reference material.

The thing is, not all fish keepers agree. That is part of why you see such a disparity. For that particular fish, it is indeed the same fish, same latin name and everything. But, some people/websites just simply have a different idea of acceptable tank sizes. There is unfortunately not an iron-clad answer to the constant question of tank sizes. I see some sites where I often dramatically disgaree with their tank suggestions. The same applies to stores with tank sizes listed. The best info I can give, is look at multiple places and try to find the average. Then, find a way to ask people who have experience keeping that particular species. For example, this forum. I have asked many times about various fish that I do not have experience with. :) Good luck, and always feel free to ask questions.

I had a whole ream of paper on this fish.

The Brachygobius xanthozona has perfect unbroken black stripes and is best suited for brackish, but will tolerate fresh water much better than the other type.

The Brachygobius nunus has less well banded stripes, and occasionally black spots or broken stripes. It is not very tolerant of a fresh water environment. Technically its common name is the Golden Banded Goby, although I have not once seen these two species clearly distinguished when on sale in fish stores.
This was copied online for haste, my paperwork is out of place as I am moving my fish house.
I'm sure there is B. Doriae as well and B sebanaus. I kept Doriae. YouTube 4tanks2day for evidence of this. See my Fish house video.

Thanks. Gives me a clearer picture of a muddy subject.

Back
Top Bottom