Bunch of stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vikesfankevin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright everyone. Sorry if I ask too many questions here but I think I'm kind of obsessed.
I wanted to start by asking about the condition of my tank. I know a lot of you arent too fond of some of the LFSs but the one I go to seems to be one of the best around from what I hear. I don't think anything they have told me has been wrong. In the thread http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/should-i-be-alarmed-107266.html
a lot of you were thinking that the aquari-sol killed my loach and that my tank wasnt cycled. Well at the fish store they said if used properly it should kill loaches and stuff and that they use it on their tanks and have for years. When I told the lady my nitrites and amonia levels she said I was over feeding them. She said you can kill a fish from over feeding in days but it will take weeks to starve a fish. After a 50% water change and cutting down the feeding to once a day and cutting back on the sinking pellets both the numbers have been at 0 for the last couple days. I think my tank is cycled and the problems were caused by me...opinions?
Oh also the baby guppys dont seem to die...

Also some random questions. First I would just like to know what is everyones favorite bottom feeders and plecos? Within a year I hope to get a 120 gallon and have schools of tetras and bottom feeders. Also favorite kind of tetras?

Last I'm getting a 10 gallon tank from my dad and I was thinking I could use it as a QT tank. Would this be a good idea or should I put fish in there?

This should keep ya guys going :) thanks.

The staff at an LFS can give anywhere from excellant advice to horrible advice. The key is learning which staff you can trust and which ones you need to turn a deaf ear to. Even when you find staff you can trust it's still a good idea to research their information, because everyone is wrong at least once in awhile.

A QT is always a good idea. Now the real question is whether or not you can resist the urge of turning it into an aquarium as opposed to keeping it for QT.

purrbox is right. lots of pet stores or fish stores will tell you anything just to get your money im not sayin their all like this but a lot are. ALWAYS do research before you get a fish your unsure about or it could end up belly up floating in your tank.

The staff at an LFS can give anywhere from excellant advice to horrible advice. The key is learning which staff you can trust and which ones you need to turn a deaf ear to. Even when you find staff you can trust it's still a good idea to research their information, because everyone is wrong at least once in awhile.

A QT is always a good idea. Now the real question is whether or not you can resist the urge of turning it into an aquarium as opposed to keeping it for QT.

A QT tank won't be as hard because I already have a tank going. It was when I had nothing that I couldn't hold back.

If you intend on allowing your fish to breed at all, it may be an idea to keep the 10G tank as somewhere that you can seperate the fry from your adult fish to stop them from eating them (obviously make sure it's cycled before you do this). This is what I'd like to do ideally although I think Mrs. Chard wants to get a small tank so that we can keep a Betta in it!

Back
Top Bottom