buying a used tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alLexX

Aquarium Advice Addict
i found a tank for sale on ebay,it 45 gallons,and comes with a bucket of white sand,a rosewood top with lights,a ugf,some air pumps,an aquaclear 150,and plastic plants.is this a good deal? on a related note,will my rainbow shark be able to live in here? if i put some sort of material over it,can the ugf just hang over the back?(i want to use sand). thanks in advance.

edit:forgot to incude the price,its $100

There are a few questions that come to mind when reading what the ebay listing has to offer.. First one is, what kind of sand? did the seller say which brand or type it is? Also a ugf is pretty useless in sand, since the sand won't let debris fall to the ugf. I dont think hanging it on the back of the tank is an option. The Aquaclear 150 is a pretty beefy filter and should do just fine in the 45g. Your rainbow shark should really have a minimum of 50g, since they can grow to at least 6" they require quite a bit of room. I hope this info helps out for now till others start to chime in.

There are a few questions that come to mind when reading what the ebay listing has to offer.. First one is, what kind of sand? did the seller say which brand or type it is? Also a ugf is pretty useless in sand, since the sand won't let debris fall to the ugf. I dont think hanging it on the back of the tank is an option. The Aquaclear 150 is a pretty beefy filter and should do just fine in the 45g. Your rainbow shark should really have a minimum of 50g, since they can grow to at least 6" they require quite a bit of room. I hope this info helps out for now till others start to chime in.
i know my shark would like a bigger tank,but i dont think 5-10 gallons of difference would matter all that much.i dont know the kind of sand,but ill probably be getting all new sand,or at least testing the sand tey have for sale(with my CAE.hes mean).

Aquaclear 150 (the old name for the aquaclear 30) is underpowered for the 45 gallon IMO. You'd be better off with an Aquaclear 300 (new name is Aquaclear 70), an Emperor 400, or a canister.

Your rainbow shark should do fine in a 45 gallon. I'm not sure what prices typically are in your area, but without a stand that really doesn't sound like such a great deal to me.

really?at my LFS they are selling a new,fully equipped,55 gallon(without a stand)tank,for 225.

Aquaclear 150 (the old name for the aquaclear 30) is underpowered for the 45 gallon IMO. You'd be better off with an Aquaclear 300 (new name is Aquaclear 70), an Emperor 400, or a canister.

Your rainbow shark should do fine in a 45 gallon. I'm not sure what prices typically are in your area, but without a stand that really doesn't sound like such a great deal to me.

Oh wow, guess I should have read the post closer, thought you said an aquaclear 50. my mistake

since the aquaclear 150 wont work on its own,could i take the filter from my 20 and put it in the 45?then move the ugf to my 20.

i bought my tank with stand off ebay and i got a great deal i thought, aqua 620 90L, 10 gold barbs, 2 gouramis, and 2 angels, two ornaments, fish food, API master testing kit, gravel, heater, filter aswell and the lady delivered it to me for an extra 30 bucks and set it up taught me how to test and how to look after the tank. All for $430 dollars. I was laughing !!!!!
Since then iv bought another 10 ornaments and driftwood and various types of fish and fish food and water conditioners so its blown out a bit lol.

The 2 tanks I have bought used.. 1 being a 40 gallon bowed. With filter (cheap aqheon) and light with hood. And matching stand I paid 140 from lfs. 55 gallon with cascade 700 canister filter in new condition off Craigslist I paid $70

alLexX said:
really?at my LFS they are selling a new,fully equipped,55 gallon(without a stand)tank,for 225.

I agree with Severumama. Think about it, you can buy a 40 G tank at Petco for $40 bucks, like every 6 months, they put all fish tanks a $1 dollar per gallon....

ejaramillo01 said:
I agree with Severumama. Think about it, you can buy a 40 G tank at Petco for $40 bucks, like every 6 months, they put all fish tanks a $1 dollar per gallon....

On top of this, I don't think that the UGF will fit in your old tank.

In my experience eBay is to expensive to buy a fish tank, unless you can get a good auction. Try Craiglist in your area, I bought an used 100G tank, with heaters, XP4 Rena filter, wood stand, customized canopy with lights ( no fancy lights), sand (which I did not used), plastic ornaments, a lot of rocks ( did not used either), all for $280 dollars.
If you are looking for an used tank, forget about eBay or lfs, look into Craiglist.

Just my two cents.

I got a 120 with stand off CL for $150. You just have to be patient and wait for the right deal to come along.

I just got a 75g with a nice stand and almost everything needed other than a filter on CL for 200. I also know in my area there are a lot of other 50+ gallon tanks with stands in the 100-200 range.

okay,i probably wont buy this one.ill look for a better deal.and just for the record,it was on kijiji,not ebay.

i would pay $1 dollar a gallon on used tank.
as far as used filter go ... ill pay $40 for a used Aquaclear 110.

the bigger the filter the bigger .. no harm using a Aquaclear 110 in a 10 gallon.

heard of craigslist? im sure you can find an 75gallon full setup for $250

i just found a fantastic deal,a 90 gallon tank with everything(including stand)for 175,is an aquaclear 500 big enough for this(its the filter they have with it)

Back
Top Bottom