Buying fish online from uk ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F1sh117

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there does anybody know of any good retailers in the UK that have a "mail order fish" service. I am quite passionate about fish keeping and own a small variety of tetras. Where I stay my LFS don't have a good selection and aren't very clean the nearest LFS is 3 hour journey away
Thanks....

Currently I live well about 3 hours from Glasgow, Scotland

I've wondered the same actually, and been in a similar situation regarding LFS. Would be interested in responses. Is there anything in particular you're looking for?

I have looked at a lot of the online services here in the UK although I haven't bought from any for 2 reasons. Firstly a lot of them either give no or inaccurate information on the final size of a fish (eg they do not tell you how big a Common Plec will get). Secondly, quite a lot of them (including Aquatics to your Door) sell Parrot Fish; a practice that I, personally, am not happy to support.

Last edited:
Ickletas said:
I have looked at a lot of the online services here in the UK although I haven't bought from any for 2 reasons. Firstly a lot of them either give no or inaccurate information on the final size of a fish (eg they do not tell you how big a Common Plec will get). Secondly, quite a lot of them (including Aquatics to your Door) sell Parrot Fish; a practice that I, personally, am not happy to support.

Out of curiosity why don't you like parrots. Don't know much about them. I know there like hybrids. And look funny. Lol

You are quite right, they are hybrids, man made ones that have a variety of problems ranging from deformed spines and internal organs to mouths that are too small to allow them to eat properly. I feel that there are by far and away more than enough beautiful, naturally occurring fish thereby negating the need to "create" another.

Ickletas said:
You are quite right, they are hybrids, man made ones that have a variety of problems ranging from deformed spines and internal organs to mouths that are too small to allow them to eat properly. I feel that there are by far and away more than enough beautiful, naturally occurring fish thereby negating the need to "create" another.

I didn't know they had a lot of problems.I knew about their mouth. Wat are they a hybrid of.

There is quite a lot of debate about that as the original breeders call it a trade secret, but probably cichlids. Just to be clear though there is a genuine cichlid called a parrot fish, the one I'm referring to is also called a blood parrot and doesn't have a Latin designation (because it's a hybrid)

i agree that it's a horrible thing to do to make hybrid fish but is it any worse then donkeys? donkeys are hybrids and can never reproduce. plus why punish the fish for bing a hybrid every fish deserves a home.

I think your confusing Mules and Donkeys. Donkey + Horse = Mule but that isn't the point. Mules cannot reproduce, you are quite right but are they deformed? Do they have to crush food in their thoats because their mouths don't close properly? I don't support the sale or breeding of these fish in the same way (and for a lot of the same reasons) that I don't support cosmetic testing on animals, it is completely unnecessary. Your arguement is a bit like saying it's ok to win a goldfish from the fair because "every fish deserves a home". On the other hand, if we don't spend out money at the "win a fish" stall, then eventually the stall will have to either a) close down or b) offer a different prize. The best weapon that we, as consumers, have is our wallets and if we don't buy the product, the product stops being produced.

Back
Top Bottom