CA/SA advice needed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texas72

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First, a little background. I'm not new to fish keeping or cichlids but, I am new to "new world" cichlids. My tank is a 5x2x2,150 gallon. My filtration is 2 Aquaclear 110's and the biggest SunSun canister, loaded with Matrix and the usual sponges. Everything is well established, and has been for years. Okay, my question is about tankmates. I recently picked up 2 Oscars that are about 3.5 inches each. So, what are you guys experiences with Oscar tankmates?
I'd really like a cool pleco but, don't want to spend a lot of money on one just to eventually be a fancy dinner for the Oscars. Any suggestions will be considered, including other tankmates. Thanks in advance.

I'd think any pleco that grows over 6" would be ok. There are a few out there. Wouldn't do a common though. Maybe a leopard sailfin?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How about Gold Nugget plecos?

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

Should be ok, honestly you probably won't see them as much as you'd like. Get them in there soon and grow them out fast. Oscar may get curious and catch a spine, learn it's not food. A bigger pleco would be better though. If it eats the nugget than the oscar will probably die before the pleco.

Maybe so. I do like the look of the calico sailfin but, I'm not sure I want that much poop to deal with.

So much poooooo... what about a pictus cat or 3? They are awesome, I want some, no space though

Hmm, I'll do some research on them. Thanks

Hey. I am new to this site...but far from new at ca/sa cichlid keeping. I have had many positive experiences with oscars and tankmates. Jack Dempseys, Iridescent sharks ( which are cool for sure) and dofferent plecos. My last was a sailfin who very quickly learned to be just as counter aggressive till they eventually called stalemate.

I've since rehomed the Oscars and got a psychopathic A. labiatus.

Back
Top Bottom