Caleb's Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it's been a few days hasn't it?

I did a big ole trim on my 10g planted and removed the Alternanthera reinekeii. Shifted some plants, and looking for new ideas to a background plant or 2.

Really liking Rotala Indica but is a bit pricy on eBay than what I'm looking for. If anyone has some they are willing to let go of let me know.

This saltwater tank is killing me. The weird part is nothing has changed... Still weekly water changes on schedule, might vary a day here and there but no more. Light is still near lowest setting, but yet this tank is becoming Algae City. The green it's taking over! :( I need to test phosphates but one of my bottles is MIA and I've been trying to find it to avoid buying another kit.

I'm doing a 2g water change for this week as I'm typing this^

I found me a razor blade and got as much algae off as possible in both 10g.

I got a "Critter Keeper"... Ya know those little plastic totes people put bettas in... Yeah. It's a cricket cage now as crickets apparently become cannibals in confined spaces.

Also got some mealworms and calcium powder and vitamin powder to dust the worms with.

75g is probably doing the best of all the tanks.

Current stock:
3 discus
15 Cardinal tetras
3 clown loaches(found 2 more!)
3 golden zebra loaches
1 ropefish
1 GBR

finally found a true GBR at the chain store! I just wasn't willing to pay $25 for one at the LFS.

Some pics:
http://i.imgur.com/JnuUPvf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qjtYwHK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/m92GsvX.jpg

Caleb

The beauty of a 10g reef is you can easily do 50% wcs , do a couple 4-5 gal changes this week and you'll get ahold of the algae problem. Id use a tooth brush to scrub it off the rocks before the change and siphon out as much as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The beauty of a 10g reef is you can easily do 50% wcs , do a couple 4-5 gal changes this week and you'll get ahold of the algae problem. Id use a tooth brush to scrub it off the rocks before the change and siphon out as much as you can.

Red! So nice to see you back. I'll have to start pre mixing( RODI is very slow) but I can tackle a 50% change ????

Caleb

Amazing ram! Love it! $25 for one at LFS? Got mine for $6 and he's a true......
Still like your 10 gallon planted! How's the puff?
And this is exactly why I don't want to spend my time and money on a reef tank :lol:
Too time consuming for me.
Staying fresh is good for me :)

Amazing ram! Love it! $25 for one at LFS? Got mine for $6 and he's a true......
Still like your 10 gallon planted! How's the puff?
And this is exactly why I don't want to spend my time and money on a reef tank :lol:
Too time consuming for me.
Staying fresh is good for me :)

Thanks Nils! I wasn't kidding about the $25... That LFS is a bit high on prices, and that's too much for me. Got this guy from one of the P's chains while Checkin for clown loaches as they have been impossible to find. Fish always go missing when you actually want to get one!

Puff is good! He's fattened up a little bit. Loving them bloodworms.

Reef tank is fun, just takes some love and care a bit more than other tanks lol

Caleb

Well it's been a few days hasn't it?

I did a big ole trim on my 10g planted and removed the Alternanthera reinekeii. Shifted some plants, and looking for new ideas to a background plant or 2.

Really liking Rotala Indica but is a bit pricy on eBay than what I'm looking for. If anyone has some they are willing to let go of let me know.

This saltwater tank is killing me. The weird part is nothing has changed... Still weekly water changes on schedule, might vary a day here and there but no more. Light is still near lowest setting, but yet this tank is becoming Algae City. The green it's taking over! :( I need to test phosphates but one of my bottles is MIA and I've been trying to find it to avoid buying another kit.

I'm doing a 2g water change for this week as I'm typing this^

I found me a razor blade and got as much algae off as possible in both 10g.

I got a "Critter Keeper"... Ya know those little plastic totes people put bettas in... Yeah. It's a cricket cage now as crickets apparently become cannibals in confined spaces.

Also got some mealworms and calcium powder and vitamin powder to dust the worms with.

75g is probably doing the best of all the tanks.

Current stock:
3 discus
15 Cardinal tetras
3 clown loaches(found 2 more!)
3 golden zebra loaches
1 ropefish
1 GBR

finally found a true GBR at the chain store! I just wasn't willing to pay $25 for one at the LFS.

Some pics:
http://i.imgur.com/JnuUPvf.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qjtYwHK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/m92GsvX.jpg

Caleb

How are you liking those Cardinals? I might start considering that fish for my tank.

How are you liking those Cardinals? I might start considering that fish for my tank.

I have 6 in my tank and love em. Even 6 makes an impact, depending on the size of your tank.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

I have 6 in my tank and love em. Even 6 makes an impact, depending on the size of your tank.

~ExoticAquarist, signing out

I think I could get 6-8 of them for my 30 gallon. Those, alongside my Harlequins, would look nice! They look nice in Caleb's tank!

15 of them adds a lot of color and activity to the tank. I'm not much of a Tetra fan but recommend these guys :)

Caleb

I have a school of around 22 :D, definitely one of my favorites in a planted tank.
About the phosphate test...I found out with my nano reef that the results can be misleading. The algae consumes it, making your results 0. So frustrating! I had GHA all over my little reef. I borrowed a small urchin from my lfs, upped my water changes, cleaned it off all the time, added phosguard and chemipure elite to the AC hob. It eventually subsided. That urchin was a lawn mower!!
Good luck!

I have a school of around 22 :D, definitely one of my favorites in a planted tank.
About the phosphate test...I found out with my nano reef that the results can be misleading. The algae consumes it, making your results 0. So frustrating! I had GHA all over my little reef. I borrowed a small urchin from my lfs, upped my water changes, cleaned it off all the time, added phosguard and chemipure elite to the AC hob. It eventually subsided. That urchin was a lawn mower!!
Good luck!

I might try the phosguard, not sure on the urchin, don't want it eating my corals.

Caleb

I might try the phosguard, not sure on the urchin, don't want it eating my corals.

Caleb

It won't eat your corals, but it will bulldoze anything not glued down and wear it for a hat ;). But honestly a couple big changes and some scrubbing is all you need, the phosgaurd works well too

It won't eat your corals, but it will bulldoze anything not glued down and wear it for a hat ;). But honestly a couple big changes and some scrubbing is all you need, the phosgaurd works well too

Lol I get enough bulldozing from the hermits alone.. Speaking of gluing.. I haven't actually glued anything in this tank haha. For the main reason of I need a "gluing coral to rock for dummies" book. Any explanations welcome.

Caleb

Lol I get enough bulldozing from the hermits alone.. Speaking of gluing.. I haven't actually glued anything in this tank haha. For the main reason of I need a "gluing coral to rock for dummies" book. Any explanations welcome.

Caleb

Sure here ya go,
Ch.1 - get some loctite super glue gel (must be the gel, cyanoacrylate) apply about a marble sized glob to the frag plug/rock you want to glue down (out of the water). Gently push and slightly twist back and forth into the crevice of the rock work(inside the tank this time) you want to attach to and hold for 5-10 seconds.

The end ;)

Sure here ya go,
Ch.1 - get some loctite super glue gel (must be the gel, cyanoacrylate) apply about a marble sized glob to the frag plug/rock you want to glue down (out of the water). Gently push and slightly twist back and forth into the crevice of the rock work(inside the tank this time) you want to attach to and hold for 5-10 seconds.

The end ;)

Thanks! And what about removing a frag from a plug?

Caleb

Thanks! And what about removing a frag from a plug?

Caleb

Depends on the type of coral, lps and sps it's pretty easy use a razor to gently cut the glue away from the skeleton attached to the plug and then you can apply more glue directly to the coral and glue it to the rocks. For most softies they grow fast enough that it's not really worth it to cut them off the plug because they'll just grow over and onto the rock work with in a couple months usually so I'd just glue those plugs down and you won't be able to see them soon enough.

Depends on the type of coral, lps and sps it's pretty easy use a razor to gently cut the glue away from the skeleton attached to the plug and then you can apply more glue directly to the coral and glue it to the rocks. For most softies they grow fast enough that it's not really worth it to cut them off the plug because they'll just grow over and onto the rock work with in a couple months usually so I'd just glue those plugs down and you won't be able to see them soon enough.

Thanks here's a list I have right now:
Kenya tree
Unknown Favia frag
Frogspawn
Toadstool
Zoas

Caleb

Haha come to think of it...that little guy was knocking things over all the time. Never bothered my corals though, unless they weren't glued down.

Back
Top Bottom