Caliban's 46G Dirted Bowfront Evolved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have enough light, CO2, and fertilizers, AR mini, Rotala macrandra, and Ludwigia sp. red are all options. Rotala macrandra is said to not like hard water, but I've been able to grow it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks I've tried the other two so might look into the rotala cheers?

Hey Caliban

That view from your chair is what it's all about in my opinion. That pinkish plant towards the back really stands out.

Thanks

Here's where we're at today

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464719116.869586.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464719145.072012.jpg

Looks well but man I hate cyano. It's horrible and nearly time for a 3 day blackout.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464719221.095085.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464719246.381094.jpg

Also, anyone know why my new sword leaves have brown patterning along the lead?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464719319.761726.jpg

Thank thrills! Still not as good as I would like but I'm getting better.

Need a new more powerful filter though to eliminate cyano in low flow area as I can safely say it's congregating where it is sheltered from flow and co2/nutrient delivery like behind the helferi and the wood.

No worries Caliban.

Have you looked at an Ehiem Pro 3? It's £150 or there about. Solid filter and quiet. Also the flow is perfect for a Juwel 180 and adjustable. Personally, I'm not sure if a blackout will address the root cause but it'll definitely slow the progress.

That said, everything is looking really good. Enjoying the pics and catching up on your progress.

No worries Caliban.

Have you looked at an Ehiem Pro 3? It's £150 or there about. Solid filter and quiet. Also the flow is perfect for a Juwel 180 and adjustable. Personally, I'm not sure if a blackout will address the root cause but it'll definitely slow the progress.

That said, everything is looking really good. Enjoying the pics and catching up on your progress.

Thanks. Id have to check the flow rate comparison with the fluval 406. I want mega flow around the horizontal axis.

Another observation I had yesterday. I haven't dosed EI for a few days and plants seem notably healthier. More green even and the pearling was immense last night. Previously I was dosing EI daily. Sometimes even both micro and macros to ensure ample nutrient levels. Some of my plants were browning and I was getting algae. I wondered if there is anything in micro toxicity? I've decided to go lean on nutrients. Especially the micros and see how it goes.

It's weird because the pro 3 is rated for aquariums 200l more than the 406 but puts out 200l/h less.

406 for 400l 1450l/h 8x turnover
Pro 3 for 600l 1250l/h 7 x turnover

406 power con = 20W
Pro 3 = 16W

Both £150

In thinking the 406. Just hope it's not too much flow.

The 205 is about 4 x turnover and sprays water about 4 inches distance from the spray bar holes so it's pretty weak.

I had a look at both the fluval and pro 3 and there doesn't seem to be much variation between the two. But since we have the same tank there is one thing you need to consider. Both will use 16mm hose which means they wont both fit in the same slot juwel builds into the rim of the aquarium. You'll have to use both slots and separate the intake and outflow onto either side of the aquarium. Ironically for me, while I had always read that the separation wasn't recommended (the shorter the length of hose from filter to tank the better) this actually created a better all round flow.

I hope some of the above helps.

I had a look at both the fluval and pro 3 and there doesn't seem to be much variation between the two. But since we have the same tank there is one thing you need to consider. Both will use 16mm hose which means they wont both fit in the same slot juwel builds into the rim of the aquarium. You'll have to use both slots and separate the intake and outflow onto either side of the aquarium. Ironically for me, while I had always read that the separation wasn't recommended (the shorter the length of hose from filter to tank the better) this actually created a better all round flow.

I hope some of the above helps.

Good call. I'll be using a spray bar which means I'll have to order the spray bar kit (only just got the one for the 205) then I'll have to order a new inline atomiser and another set of adaptor pieces for the larger hosing. I might have a look online for a complete second hand setup. Will still have to buy the inline atomiser. This sucks!

Regarding the Cyanobacteria and water flow, at one point I had 2 AquaClear 50s running on my 20g long. That's roughly 15-20x turnover. I had cyano persist for months. I did not know what it was at the time. It would even grow on the lip of the HOB filter. During water changes it was easy to remove; I would remove about 90% and a week later a good amount would return.
Finally, I treated the tank with API erythromycin and it was gone. That was three years ago. I had one outbreak since then and treated it the same way. I suspect it was introduced with one of the plant orders I received. I still see traces of it from time to time on the filter itself near the part where the siphon intake tube is (yes, I should clean it) but it has not progressed past that.
Am I recommending drugs as a solution? Yes. It will kill off the cyano yet leave the BB alone (I did not see any spikes during/after treatment). Water changes and filter maintenance will help keep it in check in the long run.
You might consider inspecting and dipping any new plants prior to introduction. Maybe it's me, by cyano has a distinct smell. It's a "swamp mud" type of smell.

I'd love to dose that here but you can't get it in the UK.

Hang on back filters circulate the water in the upper sections of the water? All my Cyanobacteria is without question protected from the flow via plants. I do appreciate your obs but I do need a good amount of water flow aimed at and around the Cyano. I've heard it detaches completely in this instance. Also there is a theory of high nitrate rids it too but I'm not sure the path of my water flow is strong enough to adequately circulate nutrients such as this nitrate to the plants and algae at substrate level.

I had Cyano in my firemouth tank so I suspect it's come from there but like you say in my case plants could easily bring it in. In my firemouth tank I had high flow but the cyano stuck itself to the back wall of the tank out of the way of direct flow. I could be wrong but that's what I have observed so far. If I could get some of those meds is definitely consider using it though.

I've suspected availability might be an obstacle is some places. But for those following that have this situation and can access it, then it may be their best solution.
Regarding water circulation patterns, it depends on the size and shape of the tank and the flow rate, placement, and number of HOB filters. But to your point, I noticed that cyano was always present along the back wall, substrate, and corners but not so much along the front wall. This is where the filter output was directed.
Good luck with your battle.

I've suspected availability might be an obstacle is some places. But for those following that have this situation and can access it, then it may be their best solution.
Regarding water circulation patterns, it depends on the size and shape of the tank and the flow rate, placement, and number of HOB filters. But to your point, I noticed that cyano was always present along the back wall, substrate, and corners but not so much along the front wall. This is where the filter output was directed.
Good luck with your battle.

Thanks. It's gonna cost me £150 + to find out if there is any correlation between cyano and flow but it's my birthday next month. You know somethings up when your main bday present is an aquarium filter. Needs must ?

Just another pic. The tank is really starting to grow in. Even my gf mentioned it.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465046094.006305.jpg

Thanks!

Stocking is:

1 x female swordtail
5 x otto
5 x cardinal tetra
5 x harlequin rasbora
5 x cherry barb
4 x Amano shrimp

Caliban's Dirted 46 Bowfront

Thanks. It's gonna cost me £150 + to find out if there is any correlation between cyano and flow but it's my birthday next month. You know somethings up when your main bday present is an aquarium filter. Needs must ?

I truly believe it'll be a worth while investment. I have a less powerful pro 3 and at full blast it uproots the plants so you could settle for a £120 filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I truly believe it'll be a worth while investment. I have a less powerful pro 3 and at full blast it uproots the plants so you could settle for a £120 filter.

I'm twitching to hit the buy button on Amazon. There's a couple of shops I'm gonna go first though to see if it's cheaper.

Erk..well I haven't done much with this tank for a couple of weeks now. Not dosed ferts or done a water change.

We now have a new addition to the household. His name his Chewie and he's taking up most of our time at present. Say hello Chewie

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465666227.811656.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465666242.180760.jpg

Algae has come back with a vengeance. Limnophila is just a ridiculously fast growing weed and is probably about 50cm long. One of my ludwigia stems is not far off and is now above the surface. It would be a shame to cut it but the tank is in need of a freshen up. I need flow which is why I have just hit buy on Amazon for the 406. It was nice not spending money on my fish for a couple of weeks....oh well.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465666470.350608.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1465666492.903617.jpg

I may remove my vallisneria. It's showing chronic symptoms of liquid carbon dosing. I need a new plant so I'm on the hunt.

I feel a slight sense of release you got a new filter lol. I've read through this journal a few times. Feel like I'm in the trenches fighting to get it right with you lol.

Perhaps it's because we have the exact same aquarium so I'm always interested to see what your doing with yours.

Oh and by the way congrats on the dog. Chewie looks gorgeous!

Hack away at the stems; they will grow back.
That Chewie looks like a ball of energy.

Back
Top Bottom