Caliban's 46G Dirted Bowfront Evolved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Caliban's Dirted 46 Bowfront

Other than the obvious, sufficient co2 and reduced lighting levels (which will help with most types of algae) GSA has a strong correlation with low phosphate levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 this. Had a bad GSA problem. Upped phosphate dosage by 3x and it was gone within a week
Results don't lie

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

You mention a dark blue test on the phosphates....

From my time when i used to test i know thats the upper limits of that test. This tells me you already have plenty of phosphate.

So the more likely cause is flow. Maybe the nutrients are not being circulated well enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I did a plant cull. I'm going away in Sunday for a week on a training course so i needed to do my PWC. It had been over two weeks since my last one (tut tut)

Anyway I decided to get rid of this.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472288439.506521.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472288449.777333.jpg

It was a great plant. No regrets trying it but it was chomping everything up and swallowing the light and flow. So now I return to the title of Plant killer ☹️ I put it in an old plant tub with a bit of soil and water in the garden and whispered sorry to it as i closed the back door.

I haven't dosed any nutrients for over two weeks. I'll probably drop in some dry salts before I leave and ask my girlfriend to do 6ml easy carbo a day till I get back. Then upon my return I'll be going with a fire extinguisher or so other similar sized co2 bottle.

I'm not sure if the downoi is salvageable I liked it. But I'm thinking of drink dwarf hairgrass again. I'll decide when I get back. I'll post a pic before I leave if the water is not too cloudy.

TDS was 350ppm (never seems to go above this)

Ph had been restored to 7.6. At high of co2 injection I'm at 5.9.

Ph swings via co2 don't kill fish :)

Your co2 dropped it that far? My tap water is 7.2 lowest I've seen mine go is 6.8. How much co2 u been pumping in? 30ppm?

Your co2 dropped it that far? My tap water is 7.2 lowest I've seen mine go is 6.8. How much co2 u been pumping in? 30ppm?

I don't know. Enough to grow plants but not enough to kill my fish. They say that a 1 ph drop in a 4dkh< equals roughly 30ppm. I had a pretty densely planted tank though. Drop checker was lime green mostly. All fish and shrimp were fine. Ottos included. More co2 uptake = more o2.

Here's the tank how I'll be leaving it. No cloudiness at all.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1472314161.591416.jpg

You can see what happens to downoi if short on co2. It stretches upwards.

Tank looks awesome! What par do u have a substrate? I sus'd post 424. I might crank my co2 abit more (up to 3bps) my drop checker is a dark green so I don't think I've hit that 30ppm target yet. Still fine tuning it!

Hopefully your tank isn't a disaster when u get back!

And your so freakin dedicated to it! If that was my tank they would have died slow lingering deaths.

Thanks again. I think you would be fine. Your tank holds up very nicely. I'm sure you could manage this one too.

Tank looks awesome! What par do u have a substrate? I sus'd post 424. I might crank my co2 abit more (up to 3bps) my drop checker is a dark green so I don't think I've hit that 30ppm target yet. Still fine tuning it!

Hopefully your tank isn't a disaster when u get back!

I'm not sure bud. Without a PAR meter it's tough to say. I recon about 50-60 PAR. You'll get there. The plants will tell you when you hit that sweet spot.

With the second co2 diffuser I'm getting the ph from say 7.4 naturally to drop down to 6.4. Then the ph controller turns it off but haven't been seeing any issues with fish.

That's great on no cloudiness, looking good. Would love to get that tank clarity. :)

Cheers Dela. Tank always used to go cloudy after a big cull. I didn't disturb as much substrate this time but I've also bought some new dechlorinator so I'm not sure if I wasn't putting enough in with the old one.

Cleaning the filter will be the real test for clarity. I haven't cleaned it yet since I installed it. I'm also running another 900l/h internal filter too but there's no media in it. Strictly for flow only.

Have a great trip, and tank looks very nice!

Sad to see the plants disappear...I think they would have also grown in a moist garden spot.

Thanks Autumnsky that's too kind. Ok it's more of a holiday than a training course with a bit of work thrown in but will be a good trip.

The nymphoides Taiwan has died already. I'm not sure if this is more of a floating plant naturally. It's leaves were definitely more geared toward submerged. Very tissue like. I can't envisage it having tougher leaves for emergent growth. Could be wrong though.

Isnt a dark green drop checker is 30ppm is what i have read

Sent from my LG-H634 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom