Calling experienced seahorse keepers - feeding question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bloomk

Aquarium Advice Freak
An building a seahorse tank and have feeding questions. I read about feeding troughs and tubes and even feeding via a clump of cheato. How do u guys recommend doing it? I'd prefer not to have to get wet at feeding time.

Some tank specifics:

Here are a few pics of the tank so far. No water yet, it's 29 gallon with 10 gallon sump. I have it drilled with overflow and it uses a small 150 gph return pump (after elbows and height of the pumping). I will have cheato and other macro algae in the sump as well as live rock rubble and possible small skimmer. I still need to do all the plumbing (as u can see).

Any/all input so far would be appreciated as well. Thanks guys

Attachments

• image-2442882975.jpg
    image-2442882975.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 121
  • image-3497509065.jpg
    image-3497509065.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 139
We currently have 2 seahorses (the small black ones) in our 20 gallon setup. We bought them from the LFS and were told they were tank bred. I feed our tank 1/2 cube of frozen brine shrimp two times a day and they're doing great. Our seahorses actually go after the food so that makes it easier.

Williams121506 said:
We currently have 2 seahorses (the small black ones) in our 20 gallon setup. We bought them from the LFS and were told they were tank bred. I feed our tank 1/2 cube of frozen brine shrimp two times a day and they're doing great. Our seahorses actually go after the food so that makes it easier.

I read that since seahorses are slow and messy eaters, if u free feed them like fish alot of the food doesn't get eaten due to it floating into places the seahorses don't get to or don't see, turning into an ammonia/nitrate farm and hurting the seahorses.

If you are doing only seahorses it may be a problem that all of the food may not get eaten. We have a few different bottom feeders to help out with leftovers and our sea horses will swim to the bottom and eat the food off the sand and rocks as well. Maybe I just picked two non picky seahorses? I did read a few places that some of them have to be fed at least 3 times a day.

Williams121506 said:
If you are doing only seahorses it may be a problem that all of the food may not get eaten. We have a few different bottom feeders to help out with leftovers and our sea horses will swim to the bottom and eat the food off the sand and rocks as well. Maybe I just picked two non picky seahorses? I did read a few places that some of them have to be fed at least 3 times a day.

That's why people use feeding troughs. Like a clam shell close to the bottom and use either a turkey boasters to gently deposit the food into the tray or a pipe that allows the food to slowly drop into the shell/tray. That way the food stays in one spot.

Filling the tank. Anyone use a feeding trough?

Attachments

• image-1934134397.jpg
    image-1934134397.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 137
Many captive bread seahorses will get used to multiple types of feeding techniques. Learn what is best for your horses & for you. When feeding the ones I do I just feed quality food slowly at the top twice a day. That way all the horses come to the top when I stand over the tank. I feed as fast as they eat & not to much goes uneaten. A few nassarius snail eat any missed. Also, brine shrimp do not have enough nutrients for long term health, my LFS refer to them as potato chips.

ClamSnorkler said:
Also, brine shrimp do not have enough nutrients for long term health, my LFS refer to them as potato chips.

Is that true for fish as well?

Bloomk said:
Is that true for fish as well?

Are you referring to brine shrimp? If so then yes they have a lot of shell & no nutrients for anything eating them. There are exceptions, such as the seahorse breeder I know, breeds brine shrimp then feeds the fresh hatchlings to one of the phases of horses (the 2nd phase of growth only). This works because for the first day they have a yolk sac which is full of nutrients but once that's gone their junk. The other way is if you gut load them rite before feeding them to something. This is the same concept at crickets with reptiles/amphibians. But in my opinion neither method is worth the time.

Also that's a very nice tank. I like the back overflow. What's your system set up? Or is that in another thread?

ClamSnorkler said:
Also that's a very nice tank. I like the back overflow. What's your system set up? Or is that in another thread?

No, no other thread. I'll tell/show anything u want. I set it up for a sump. It is filled with water and running. I can post pictures later

Love to see your sump & plumbing, I'm one of the geeks who gets almost more excited about equipment & set-up than live stock. I'm in the process of building a 125 reef tank & love to incorporate new ideas. Also cycling a 60 hex as a DT for horses & pipefish.

Here are some pics. Keep in mind it is just cycling.

Attachments

• image-3547968340.jpg
    image-3547968340.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 74
  • image-1026667246.jpg
    image-1026667246.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 73
  • image-3691852328.jpg
    image-3691852328.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 71
  • image-1197367766.jpg
    image-1197367766.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 64
  • image-3997505245.jpg
    image-3997505245.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 74
Well, the tank is done cycling but I have to wait to buy the seahorses for financial reasons (not to mention I'm having issues deciding which species I want lol)

But here are a few more pics of progress.

Attachments

• image-4097669589.jpg
    image-4097669589.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 69
  • image-2294909164.jpg
    image-2294909164.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2868562244.jpg
    image-2868562244.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 62
ClamSnorkler said:
H. Erectus would b my suggestion.

I like the tank raised kudas cause they are bright colored. Or are erectus as well?

I've seen Erectus in yellow, purple, red, browns, & grey. They also change color a bit to match their surroundings.

ClamSnorkler said:
I've seen Erectus in yellow, purple, red, browns, & grey. They also change color a bit to match their surroundings.

Where is the best place to get them?

Back
Top Bottom