Calvus question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaft6977

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone. I just today sold off all of my julidochromis marlieri and now I have a 29 gallon tank sitting empty. I've been reading up on calvus quite a bit and am seeing a lot of people saying that a pair or trio (1 male) would be fine in a 29. Anyone tried this? Or agree/disagree ?

Yes and No. As adults the tank is to small as they reach 6 inches in length and they are deeper bodied fish so you are looking at a good sized fish. On the other hand they are extremely slow growers. It takes 2 years to get to breeding age. They are a harder fish to come by so it would be a good fish to breed but you need at least a 55. I would start them off in a 55 with 5 or 6 juveniles and wait to see a pair then get rid of the rest.

Thanks for the reply. I thought that seemed kind of small. I'd really like to get my hands on some of the sumbu dwarfs, but I can't seem to find those anywhere.

Thanks for the reply. I thought that seemed kind of small. I'd really like to get my hands on some of the sumbu dwarfs, but I can't seem to find those anywhere.

There's only a handful of people in the country that keep or breed them to my knowldege

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow. I had no idea they were that rare.

2 other members and myself struggled to find some, and only one of us did get them. His still are yet to breed. The other member has a connection for them but hasn't tried yet. They're not going to be easy to find. We were talking to each other and looking for weeks

I'm guessing if they're that hard to find, they can't be cheap.

No altolamprologus is going to be cheap, minus babies and fry. Adults are typically $100+

There is a local shop by me in Ohio where the owner has quite a few.

I don't know that he ships or the price though, unfortunately. It's been a few weeks since I have been in.

Green. Just south of Akron.

Scratch that. I'm sorry I got your hopes up. I was talking about the calvus. I apologize. Need to work on my reading skills, obviously.

Back
Top Bottom