Camelanus worms...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brandy22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had a 14 gallon tank set up for about 6 months with mostly platies, a few cardinal tetras, and a cory. I moved them all to a 29 gallon tank about 3 or so months ago (that was previously set up and inhabited by a bunch of small cichlids which were moved to a larger tank). Everything seemed fine and dandy up until about a month an a half ago, some of the platies started dying off. They just started looking lethargic and would either stay at the way top or bottom of the tank not swimming or moving much at all. I hadn't introduced any new fish to the aquarium for quite a while prior to them getting sick.
About 3 weeks ago, I noticed one of the females had red worms coming out of her cloaca. I did some research online and I'm 100% positive that it's camelanus worms. I also found out that a lot of people that have found themselves in this predicament have not had much luck with treatment of their fish. I went from having about 10 adult platies/swordtails, one juvenile platy, 2 tetras, and my cory to only 2 adult platies, the juvenile platy, and the cory. The pet stores only carry treatment for external parasites. One pet store associate even suggested that I maybe just dispose of my infected fish and bleach my tank and start over, which I've been weighing the cons and pros of doing so.
I guess I'm just wondering if anybody has been through this and found a medication that has worked really well, or if it's a better/more cost efficient idea to give up on the few fish I have left over and just start over?

Hi. Welcome to AA!
Many of us, myself included, have had great success with levamisole. It's an ingredient in livestock wormer. Give me a sec and I'll track down a link to a site that sells a flake food with this in it.

ETA:
Here you go. :)
NEW! DeWorm-3 Flake - A garlic based flake that is designed to kill nematodes (capillaria, camallanus, etc). It targets parasites similar to the ones our first De-worming Flake is designed for, but it works in a totally different manner. It is good to alternate medication types occasionally to help prevent the developement of worms resistant to the one medication. This food should be fed exclusively, once each day for two days. Feed the fish only once each day of the treatment at the end of the day. They should be kept hungry, so they will eat vigorously. Repeat the full treatment two more times, 2-3 weeks apart.

Active ingredient: levamisole. Also contains beta glucan for immune boosting. We recommend feeding our Immune Booster Flake for 1 week after the medicated feeding is discontinued. For ornamental fish use only.
Found on this site:
http://www.angelsplus.com/FlakeMedicated.htm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom