Can anyone help me with micro aquaponics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TropicalGirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a non-running 20 gallon long tank, and upon learning about aquaponics just this week, would like to try a mini aquaponics system. However, I feel like I'm seriously over simplifing it. Most of the information I can find on aquaponics system are huge systems that are outside, although there are some small scale projects. Can anyone tell me if this would work?

Here's my idea:
Put a basin, maybe 5 inches deep, that is as long as the fishtank but a few inches less wide (so I can access the fish) on top of the tank.

Have a pump take water from the tank in through a hole in the bottom of the basin. Put some filter media (minus the carbon) covering the tube in the basin to catch debris. Have the water exit through a tube an inch or so off the bottom of the basin into the tank. Put some filter media (perhaps with carbon) over this tube as well to ensure the water is getting clean enough for the fish.

For the stock, maybe a GBR (or betta, or DG), a school of cardinal tetras, and perhaps some guppies. For the plants, maybe a pepper plant or two, a cherry tomato plant, and some herbs (mint, basil, chives maybe?).

So, here's a rough diagram I made

Attachments

• aquaponics ex.jpg
    aquaponics ex.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 69
Back
Top Bottom