Can Anyone Identify These Rainbowfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freddie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, I was at my local LFS & saw these. Id read about rainbowfish but this was the first time id ever seen any. Srry bout my camera but they wudnt sit still:)

ForumRunner_20120923_133535.jpg

ForumRunner_20120923_133635.jpg

ForumRunner_20120923_133753.jpg
U cant really see the colors(once again, bad phne camera)but ive mostly seen blue and red-orange

Can you get a picture that shows their color and patterning? Too much yellow in those pic's but they remind me of Madagascar rainbows.

They are most likely Melanotaenia splendida hybrids, but I would need to see better photos. The lower photo looks a little like M. maccullochi, but that could be just a trick of the lighting/photograph quality.

Tony

Tony Gill said:
They are most likely Melanotaenia splendida hybrids, but I would need to see better photos. The lower photo looks a little like M. maccullochi, but that could be just a trick of the lighting/photograph quality.

Tony

I looked the splendidas up & I think yur right. Do u know how big theyll get? They are currently 4 in a 55 gal with 2 angelfish, 1 peacock eel, & a rainbow shark. R they fine where they are or shud I move them 2 a larger tank?

Back
Top Bottom