Can Fish get Depression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilbetta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im sure someone has asked this before but couldnt find it.. but is it possible for fish to get long term depression?

i ask because 2 of my platys died one of old age and the other one i couldnt figure out... i did water test and everything was great just needed a vacuum which i did and then everything read great... so after about a week of no friends bella (my teeny betta) started looking depressed... she stayed off by herself althoug she no longer had anytank mates besides a shrimp and an antisocial otto... so i decided i needed to get new tank buddies because before this she was so social. at first she wasnt but after my platy dinozzo picked on her a few times she became the most active and bravest of all the fish... she would always come first or second for food (she was getting really fat) and if i had to stick my hand in to do something she always swam up to it to investigate rather than swim away like most fish... anyway more recently she was not as happy looking and even food didnt excite her.

So i got new fish but i had to put them in their 5 gal seperate quarantine tank for a week so i could make sure they were clean and good to introduce to bellas tank.. so i introduced them the other day and for about the first couple of hours they were all wimming around together nice and eating some food i put in... but i looked yesterday and today and bella si back over in an opposite corner by herself... Is she sick? is it depression? and is that even possible it seems like it should be...

I believe fish are capable of emotions. Mine are always so happy to see me at certain times of the day cuz they know its chow time. Wagging their bodies all over, swimmin up and down. So if their capable of being eager and happy to see us then i guess their capable of other emotions as well.

Im sure someone has asked this before but couldnt find it.. but is it possible for fish to get long term depression?

i ask because 2 of my platys died one of old age and the other one i couldnt figure out... i did water test and everything was great just needed a vacuum which i did and then everything read great... so after about a week of no friends bella (my teeny betta) started looking depressed... she stayed off by herself althoug she no longer had anytank mates besides a shrimp and an antisocial otto... so i decided i needed to get new tank buddies because before this she was so social. at first she wasnt but after my platy dinozzo picked on her a few times she became the most active and bravest of all the fish... she would always come first or second for food (she was getting really fat) and if i had to stick my hand in to do something she always swam up to it to investigate rather than swim away like most fish... anyway more recently she was not as happy looking and even food didnt excite her.

So i got new fish but i had to put them in their 5 gal seperate quarantine tank for a week so i could make sure they were clean and good to introduce to bellas tank.. so i introduced them the other day and for about the first couple of hours they were all wimming around together nice and eating some food i put in... but i looked yesterday and today and bella si back over in an opposite corner by herself... Is she sick? is it depression? and is that even possible it seems like it should be...

I think it possible she is lonely. If a new friend doesn't work, how about throwing something in the tank? Maybe a new decoration or moving some things around. Fish get bored and something new and attractive may help.

Back
Top Bottom