Can guppies and shrimp co-exist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sbcameron

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all. New to this hobby, and appreciate the forum.

Have a 6 week old tank, cycle complete. 4 fancy guppies, 3 apple snails. Planted tank with substrate, and plants are thriving. Kids and I are interested in putting Cherry or Ghost shrimp in the tank. Questions:

- Will the shrimp be ok, or will the guppies eat them?

- if the guppies would let them survive, what other plants would you put in the tank to provide them shelter ( I don't want to do CO2).

Tank details:
Fluval vista 8.5 gallon tank with LED lights (700 Lumens) . Has a U3 underwater filter ( was the only one the LFS had that fit in the tank- I know it's overkill). Substrate is fluval plant and shrimp stratum, blue rocks and crushed shell mix ( needed the shells to bring the pH to 7, fluval stratum product had it too low).

Have attached pics of the food I am using for the guppies, it does not mention copper as an ingredient but I wanted to ask if it looked ok.

Thanks for any advice! I've found the forums super helpful.

Scott

IMG_7825.jpgIMG_7824.JPGIMG_7821.JPG

I think they would be fine. Monte Carlo would be a nice low growing plant but I don't know if you need co2 for it. Possibly dose Excel to help? Java ferns would be easy to grow as well. I would also lose some of the decore and use wood instead to have a more natural look, but to each their own. [emoji4]

Haha- the decor choices ( along with the neon blue rocks) were made by a 4 year old and 7 year old- think they are there to stay for now.

Thanks for the advice LiQuiD, I'll pick some of those plants up and get them going first, so they'll have somewhere to hide before I add them.

Java Moss would be a great choice for shrimp, it provides a lot of nooks and crannies for them to hide in, and once it grows out a bit, provides some nice movement. The guppies might be able to prey on recently hatched shrimp, but I doubt their mouths are large enough to take adults and juveniles. If you're particularly concerned with the guppies harassing them, the amano shrimp (2-3") get significantly larger than the RCS (1").

Back
Top Bottom