can I cut plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have noticed some discussion about plants growing too big and was wondering if you can't just cut them back the way you would with non-aquatic plants?

Also, I have some leaves dying on one of my java ferns... can/should I cut these off?

What kinds of plants are they? You can trim most plants. There are different methods for different plants.

es cut off any dead leaves. That way the plant will grow new ones instead of trying to repair old leaves.

On the java fern, cut the dead/dying leaf at the very base of the stem (near the rhizome). This is very healthy for the plant as it no longer has to waste energy repairing/using a damaged piece. It will also usually stimulate additional growth. The only time on a java fern I wouldn't cut off a damaged leaf is when there are very few (under 3 for example). This might put too much stress on the plant and slow its growth a lot.

Short story:

I purchased 3 very small java ferns from my local fish store and they were all not in great shape (stupid beginning plant person :) ). As I tried to nurse them back to health I trimmed off some of the bad leaves, but kept a couple that I would have normally taken off due to the small amount of leaves present. These damaged leaves continued to grow (albeit an eyesore), but they also produced new plants at the tips and midway up the leaves. Had I just cut all of these off I wouldn't have had the extra 5-6 plants that have now grown into medium size. I'm a huge fan of java fern, and even though I now have enough light to grow all but the most demanding plants, for ease of care, general beauty, I don't see anything beating it.

I'm actually thinking of removing most of my other species of plants (probably 6-7 others) and having an almost exclusive java fern tank (with the addition of some floating safe-house plant for fry and ground cover plant). It would certaintly curb my weekly hour pruning (mainly due to the wisteria which grows I swear 10-20% per DAY).

justin

EDIT: The plant with the dying leaves, how is the java fern planted? You need to make sure the rhizome (dark colored thick root looking thing) is exposed to the surface. While most of the "roots" on the java fern are only used to anchor the plant, I still prefer to keep them above ground, just weighing them down with a small stone or other decoration so that they can absorb all the nutrients they need.

Well that probably explains my problem... I have buried all of the roots right to the stem. But... I actually didn't see a rhizome- there was just a compact clump of roots.

With the new plants that grew did you cut them off of the leaves and replant them?

I would say most plants you just trim back.

One of the exceptions, I would think anyway, would be a sword. Although you can cut back the leaves, cutting them in half would only lead to the leaf dying. I have one right now that is about to grow right out of my 10 gallon tank, litterally. There are 2 leaves that are touching the surface at times and it has completely taken overmore than half of the tank.
If you trim a sword, I think you need to completely remove the leaf. As for ferns, I have trimmed them and I make sure to remove the entire leaf but it might not be neccessary.

One other thing you might try is to trim the roots reall short, maybe to 1/2 inch or so. It made mine grow faster than I thought ferns could grow. It might also help to tie it down to driftwood or a large rook with sewing thread or really light fishing line. It helped mine and I used a rubber band.

Elle2 said:
Well that probably explains my problem... I have buried all of the roots right to the stem. But... I actually didn't see a rhizome- there was just a compact clump of roots.

With the new plants that grew did you cut them off of the leaves and replant them?

Elle2,

When you get them really small it might be tough to distinguish the rhizome from the rest of the plants. That compact clump of roots contains the rhizome (at the top of the roots where it meets the leaves). Just make sure that the base of the leaves are above the surface (I like to leave some of the roots exposed so I know the plant is getting enough nutrients by the rhizome).

As for the new plants, I played a wait and see. What I've learned in my short time keeping these is that they will grow much larger/healthier if they are left attached to the main plant. I had pulled one off early and it grew extremely slowly and it was a pain since it was floating around the tank (too small to attach to anything). Those that were left attached to the old plant must get some nutrients from the plant it self so that it grows very quickly.

While it looks bad to the eye, they will eventually grow to a size and release from the main plant. Then you can simply replant it in a different spot and slowly build up a good number of them (I started with 3 java ferns that were very small, and now have about 7 or so, with the original 3 each the size of a fist, and the smaller ones about twice the size of the original ones I bought).

Thanks... that is very helpful. And encouraging since one of them is already starting to sprout new plants. I am not sure if you saw my above post- but the plants I bought actually have no roots at all- they were just a bunch of leaves clumped together with a sponge and a metal clip- so there is no rhizome or roots! But I planted the leaves and they seem to be sprouting new plants so I guess something is working.

Elle2 said:

Elle2 said:
I am not sure if you saw my above post- but the plants I bought actually have no roots at all- they were just a bunch of leaves clumped together with a sponge and a metal clip

???

Oh, I am sorry... my discovery must have been explained in a different post (I usually try to be very careful about this- sorry) I did originally think I had a big clump of roots but when I went to look for the rhizome I discovered that all I had was a sponge wrapped around a bunch of leaves and held in place with a metal clip... so no roots and no rhizome.

Elle2,

Not a problem! :) I just thought I was seeing things for a sec. Like me, you seem to have gotten some java ferns in poor shape. They will spring back hopefully, but it will take quite some time. Since your seeing new growth I'd just let them be, they will either sprout new roots from the existing plants or the leaves will sprout new plants which can later be transferred.

igongora,

Scissors are fine! Just be very slow with your movements as some fish (my tiger barbs for instance) are attracted by the new object. I clean my tank every once in a while with a razor blade and have to move very slowly so I don't nick a fish. Personally I recommend a stainless steel scissor only, but people on this board have successfully for years been using normal scissors. The most important thing is to MAKE SURE ITS SHARP! You don't want a ragged edge.

justin

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom