Can I decrease the salt amount in my Green spotted puffers cage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pufferlovergirly14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My puffers have brackish water but I was wondering if I could gradually decrease the amount of salt I put in. Is it going to hurt them or will it be okay for them. Ive done some research and people say you can decrease the amount of salt you put in. Anybody with green spotted puffers? :fish2::)

Last edited:
Yes. You can Decrease the salt grade up to .002 per week.

Why would you want to decrease the salt level?

I agree--why do you want to decrease the salt level? Green spot puffers actually need the salt level increased as they age--most take them to full marine, but they need at least up to around 1.010 or so to thrive.

I read somewhere that you can decrease the salt and that they can be freshwater fish. I dont mind adding salt. Does the salt have anything to do with the water evaporation in the tank? I just cleaned the tank last week and now ive lost 1/3 of the water. I keep the filter on always. Just wondering if it was possible to decrease the salt. But i wont change the water routine for them, ive had them for three years and i think i should just keep to the same routine:)

Good idea :) They are brackish, not freshwater, fish.

I used to have them in a smaller tank, but ive moved them into a fifty gallon tank. They used to nip each other so I thought i should maybe move them into a bigger tank. Now they dont nip each other:) In fact they usually swim together and eat together. I just dont like the idea that one of my puffers is struggling swimming. But your right, my puffers are hardy and i hope they will each live to eight years.

Only 1inch big?! Are you sure they are not 2.5inch each? You got pics?

If they're seriously only an inch big.....you sure they're not dwarf puffers and got mislabeled at the pet store?

They're still pretty small after 3 years. Each should be around 6inches by now.

I don't have any GSP, but my fahaka puffer is growing well. I expect him to get 12" long at the end of the year (currently 2.5").

I don't think your GSPs will live very much longer since the water quality is poor. :(

Back
Top Bottom