Can I get inverts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wvusexybeast

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want inverts (prefer shrimp or crab) but not sure if I have room in my 36gal. There is 1 parrot 1 loach 4 platys 3 Molly's 3 gouramis and 4 black skirts tetras.

If looking to add shrimp, you have plenty of room for them. As they have virtually 0 bio load compared to the fish. However, because of the fish you have. Shrimp would end up just being a very expensive dinner in your community. Crabs, I am unsure. If interested in shrimp I suggest a 1-5 gallon sponge filtered planted tank. No need for a heater.

i you want shrimp look into amano shrimp if you want a shrimp to breed then this isn't what your looking for they need brackish water to breed. They are on the bigger side for shrimp so they usually do good in community aquariums but the only fish Im worried about is the parrot fish and for sure the loach.

You might do well with some Bamboo shrimp. Aka flower shrimp, fan shrimp. Species is Atyopsis moluccensis. These are large shrimp, getting to four inches or so. Don't breed in fresh water, sadly, but do live a fair time if cared for.
Must have some special feeding and good water current they can perch in to fan feed. Filter feeders, is what they are. Add a squirt or two of powdered spirulina mixed in water, or Liquid Phyto, sold for feeding corals, or spray dried algae or spray dried crustaceans, also for marine corals [ those last two made by Two Little Fishies] or Golden Pearls in 5-50 micron size, or cultured liquid algae. Two or three times a week. If possible, turn off the filter for a half hour while these foods circulate. I keep a second circulation pump going all the time to ensure they have current to feed in and push their food around for them.

Interesting creatures to watch, though they don't swim a great deal. If you see them picking off the bottom, they are very hungry and not getting enough food from the water column. This is not a good sign, so increase what you feed or add more variety to what you feed them. Males and females seem to get along regardless of numbers, but having two mature males might see a bit of jockeying for a prime spot. They don't fight, can't hurt anything, don't have any claws, because the 'fans' take the place of claws.

Back
Top Bottom